Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Take the Leap

G'Day! (My wannabe Australian persona coming out!)
Oh my familia. How I love all of you and how I love SanDiego. It's amazing how much love a heart can take! It's a lot. :) And I know there are a lot more people that I will love! :)
But this week was fantastic, per usual. Our p-day was very relaxing and then we got to teach some lovely people that night! :) We met with a YSA who hasn't been to church for a while, Tony. He's the nicest guy, really loves the church and loves his family. He has some hard decisions to make but it was nice that I could faithfully say to him God will help him. Reach out, he will take your hand. BECAUSE HE LOVES US! Everyone says that but it's because it's TRUE! Then we had a cool miracle. We stopped by this less active family and they have a son who is nine years old and is not baptized. Missionaries have tried to teach him in the past but he's been unreceptive and the family has been in crazy situations. They still are in crazy situations but I would say less so. So that night we taught their family the restoration. They have six kids and the nine year old is the oldest. So you can imagine the chaos. But then imagine my surprise when all of them sat down and listened to the first half of the lesson. So good! God is good. Junior was really good at answering questions. He said a great prayer at the end AND he wants to be baptized!
The parents were totally shocked and said next time we come by we can set a baptismal date for him! Wooohooooo! :) All the kids wanted their own copy of The Book of Mormon, it was cute. :)
Then on Wednesday we went on exchanges with the Sisters that are in Tierra Santa, Sister Cava and Sister Grady. One of the sisters has been going through some medical problems and was staying in for a couple of days. So we wanted to help their area out and we went over. And Miracle of Miracles Heavenly Father helped her to feel better so she could work! Sister Cava and I went to Santee and then Sister Stewart and Sister Grady stayed in Tierra Santa. And more miracles happened! We both added someone in each area! In Santee he was someone we had street contacted on Monday. His name is Antuon, he is in the Navy and is VERY nice. We were able to bring one of our members, Sister Leavitt. She ROCKED it!!! She bore powerful testimony, invited him to the roadshow the stake was having later on in the week and invited him over to her house for dinner and a lesson! Perfect member present lesson. It was AWESOME!!! I hope I have that much courage when I am a member present because I'm TOTALLY doing it! :) Antuon's awesome though, right as I was in the middle of inviting him to be baptized he was like YES! It was awesome. :) Milagros for days!
From that exchange I learned the importance of daily prayer and scripture study. How you might ask? The spirit. :)
Then on Thursday we busted out weekly planning, except not really because we had a TON of appointments. First one was with our favorite, Netta. Poor Netta walked in upset, but we were able to follow the spirit and ahve a powerful lesson on the Atonement. Everyone needs that kind of lesson everyday. Good stuff. Then we went to TAYLOR MCDANIEL'S!!!!!! Sister Stewart has been waiting to go over there for a LONG time. The dynamic duo was back and we were able to see Taylor together! We also brought with us Valissa, a recent convert from Sister Stewart's old YSA Ward. She reminds me so much of Taylor, so of course they got along! It was so good to see Taylor again, I love her SO much!!! It was fun to see her testimony grow and see her remember her baptism day. Tender feels.
With Taylor and Valissa
Unfortunately Taylor is moving, again. We are pretty sure it's out of our area, but I know I'll see her again. SHE WANTS TO GO TO SCHOOL. IN UTAH AND SHE'S ALREADY APPLIED!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! More reason to go there someday... We shall see. But bottom line, I love her lots and she is never getting rid of me!
We then went to go meet with a girlfriend of our investigator, and we talked about how she can help us during the lesson. Great use of our time, hopefully will make the lessons more spiritual. Can never have too prepared members! :)
We were supposed to meet with Julie to do family history, she wasn't there but we were able to do it with her on Sunday. SHE HAS HER TEMPLE RECOMMEND AND SHE CAN GO TO THE TEMPLE SOON!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!! I love it, I love her!!!! But while we were writing a note for Julie on Thursday her neighbor across the way opened the door and we just started talking to her. Robin is a very sweet lady and is very interested in hearing the gospel! I love it when people thank us for talking to them and say we made their day so much better. Makes EVERYTHING worth it! :) And one of our mission goals is to invite someone everyday to be baptized. So at 8:50 pm we still hadn't invited anyone but then as we were walking to the car we saw these two guys. We stopped and talked to them. One is looking for religion and was SO happy to meet us. He really wants to meet with missionaries. We talked to him about our message and my awesome mission mama invited him to be baptized! He said OF COURSE! So we passed him off to the Sisters in La Jolla! I'm excited for what lies ahead for Steve and I am grateful to have been part of his journey! :)
On Friday we had a district meeting outside, so that was fun. Weird to be enjoying a nice summer breeze in February/March. But nonetheless that's my mission! :)
So then we tried to finish weekly planning. Then we met with amazing Eddie and had an awesome lesson! I'm so proud of his progress and the amazing things he is doing to build up the Lord's kingdom! Because that is exactly what he is doing and what he is supposed to be doing! :)
We then went to the Stake Roadshows. I did not know what a roadshow was until I came here but apparently it's where all the wards in the stake put skits together and they all revolve around a theme. And of course this year's theme was "Press Forward." Classy, I know! :)
They were so ELABORATE! But great. I laughed a lot! And it was fun because we met some nonmembers our members brought, we got to sit with Doug and his family because Julie was in the roadshow!!! She was so cute! She did so good. :)
Saturday. What a day. A day where we added another investigator! ANOTHER street contact! We contacted her on Monday. Her name is Gail, she is 77 years old, she's super cool, loves cats and has been through a lot. Super inspiring story. When we came back that day, we came with a member. They just bonded right away! And then we also found out that she had read through the restoration pamphlet twice! No one does that! She then looked up things on Mormon.org! HOW COOL IS SHE???? :) She will be baptized if she knows it's true, which it is, by the way. :)
We also stopped by the Rabbs, had a good lesson with little Ben. His eight year old sister, not baptized, is very interested in the church and is learning about everything. She has no religious background so it's going to be fun to build her faith and teach her! :)
Then game day. Sunday! Stephanie was the only investigator to come to church. But Julie, Eddie, Jake and Anthony came!! All of our recent converts!!!!! :) Good day.
Eddie wore a white shirt and tie for the first time! And he also received the Priesthood and his temple recommend!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!
And then Jake blessed the sacrament for the first time! It was a day full of tender feels. :)
A day full of running around, being on splits with members to cover both congregations and attending ward councils, and I got to teach YSA Relief Society. So that was fun! Sister Stewart was in sacrament meeting for Grossmont, so I taught by myself. Good times! I based it off of President Uchtdorf's talk, "It Works Wonderfully!" Good talk, good talk. You all should read it again!
We also met with a YSA before church and learned his story and helped his faith grow. He is a convert. Shortly after he was baptized he was in a rock climbing accident and he lost most of his memories. So he got to be converted to the church twice! How cool is that? Double the testimony and he has double the faith! Great faith. Not an easy journey. Great game day.
Then Monday we had MLD (Missionary Leadership Countil ON LEAP DAY!!
HAPPY LEAP YEAR!!!! :)
President Schmitt made us all do a frog leap and see who could go the farthest, even all the sisters in skirts and dresses. I can promise you I did not go the farthest, I was too worried about holding my skirt down! But he asked a really cool question: "What is it going to take for you to take the leap this year?" Deep. MLC is always deep.
President also introduced us to the new Easter initiative, "Hallelujah." It was AWESOME!!! I'm so excited to use this and see more of God's children be converted to this gospel. Watch out for it, it comes March 13. BE EXCITED!!
When we came back we tried our appointment we had set up with a potential but it fell through. BUT as we walked around and talked to everyone and knocked on some peoples doors, we got a referral!
This man wasn't interested but we asked who he knew who has recently had a death in the family and he right then and there called his friend Lisa. And on the phone he referred to us multiple times as "Baby Angels." Made me chuckle.
So we walked over to Lisa's apartment. We were able to show her"Because He Lives." We bore testimony, said a prayer, set a return appointment, and gave her a restoration pamphlet. BOOM. She's an investigator. Tender mercies of the Lord. God is good. I love him.
I love this work. I love my mission! I love my companion! I love every single person I have met and everything I have gone through! And most of all, I love all of you! You all mean so much to me and I'm so blessed Heavenly Father allowed me to be in all of your lives!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

PS For p-day today we went to Sunset Cliffs. Good day good day.




No comments:

Post a Comment