Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rejoice! Again I say REJOICE!

Ah my dear loved ones,

Has this week been a joy? YES! Has it dealt with a lot of growth? YES! I love being a missionary, I love the people we get to meet and love. I have become close with so many people.

And that is why this week it was so hard to receive a certain phone call. It was on Thursday after our glorious exchange with the La Jolla Sisters, (I'll talk about that soon. IT WAS AWESOME!!!) and we were teaching an amazing recent convert, Westin. We were trying to continue with the lesson, but this person kept on calling and calling. The spirit told me to pick up the phone. I looked and it was my favorite Australian! As soon as I got on the phone and heard Sister Purcell's voice, I knew something was wrong. So Westin allowed us to step outside and I asked her what was going on. She then went on to tell me that our dearly beloved friend and loved one, Stacey English, had passed away. What a shock to me, I instantly broke down. We cried and cried. But my lovely former companion told me we needed to continue on. She told me I had a lesson to teach and she had service to perform. But after she hung up I could only just sit there and cry and cry and cry. Sister Stirland was a saint. And I'm so glad I was at a lesson with Westin when I received the news because those hugs (from the females of course) were heaven sent. I think I cried even more. One of them even looked me in the eye, and I knew they were speaking from our loving Heavenly Father, telling me that everything was going to get better. And it did. But of course not right away. In the midst of my many tears I decided very quickly that I needed a blessing and that it needed to be from our loving Bishop, Bishop Tengberg. And I don't think it was a coincidence that that same night we were going to the Temple with Mia for the first time. I wouldn't of wanted to of been in another place.
It's amazing how Heavenly Father helped me remain happy and truly joyful when Mia was in the Temple. I love her so much and it filled my heart with joy that she was there. But not just her, Stacey as well. As soon as I sat down with the Bishop and my companion for the blessing and he asked me what was going on. I just couldn't hold it in. During the blessing Heavenly Father told me that the pain will always be there. It always will be but it will be overcome with joy. And it has. I have found joy that Heavenly Father would allow me to teach such a wonderful daughter of God like her, that he would allow me to strengthen my testimony in the gospel and especially the priesthood during the teaching process. Stacey is a miracle. I want all of you to know that. She is a miracle. And even though I will miss her dearly, just as it said in the blessing that I received, that my reunion with her will be joyous. I know she physically is perfect, that she is happy and that she is at home. I couldn't explain it better then The Book of Mormon itself:
Alma 40:11-12

 11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it habeen made known unto me by aangel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
 12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of thoswho are righteous are received into state of happiness,which is called paradisestate of rest, state of peace,where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

Stacey is at home. All is well, all is well. It really is. Even though Satan kept throwing things our way. Unfortunately our investigator Katie who was previously going to be baptized has gotten to busy where she would not like to meet with us and isn't ready to be baptized quite yet. And we got another hard phone call on Saturday night. We were starting power hour when our lovely Mia Moore calls us in tears. Telling us her parents flew in to take her back to Nevada, that night. We didn't have time to say goodbye, just to cry with her over the phone telling her how proud we are of her, how strong she is, and how much we love her. She is in Heavenly Fathers hands and I know her testimony will always grow. Thank goodness we are not a gospel of "forever goodbyes." Just full of "see ya laters" which we experienced a lot this week. But that's ok, their is always cause to rejoice. And let me tell you why:
On Tuesday night we found 3 new people to teach! 3!!!!!! We had a wonderful dinner with one of our members and her friend who has been coming to church recently. Sarah. Funny right? Especially since my companions name is the same as mine. :) Sarah is wonderful, she loves our church, she loves the people and she wants to learn more. She is going to school in Missouri in a couple weeks but a couple weeks can be a good start to a building of testimony. She already told us she wants to go to our church in Missouri as well. She has such a strong desire and I am excited to teach her tonight as well. Then we went to an appointment for some referrals, Nick and Jason. We brought a member with us who recently got her call to the BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS MISSION!!! So cool right????? Ah I just about died, she leaves in November. We then go on to teach the 2 most genuine gentlemen I have ever met. On the edge of their seat at our every word. The Lord is preparing people who are ready, people just like Stacey and Mia and it is my duty and honor to go find those people. 

The Lord also blesses me with wonderful missionaries around me. Like my dear Sister Carlson. We were companions in the MTC and after 14 months or so being out, we were finally reunited on an exchange! Let me tell you it was an exchange led by the spirit. Uplifting each other and others. We met a 12 year old girl who has gone to girls camp, church, is reading The Book of Mormon and wants to be baptized. God is good. It was cool to see how much we had both grown, especially our love for the gospel. Looking back it was sweet that the night I found out about Stacey, I had relayed
the whole story to Sister Carlson, such joy it brought me! 

Sunday was fantastic, each testimony that was born was perfect, such comfort was brought to my soul. It was amazing how many people were there as well, I got to meet so many people! And we are teaching one of then on Wednesday, Vince! Members are just fantastic and so excited to share the most precious gift ever. It's inspiring. And what was even more inspiring was that night we went out to Ramona with our dear Valissa. As we were talking to everyone we saw we stopped this young woman with a little baby. She told us how her Aunt had passed away. I was able to strongly testify of Gods plan for us and how I know she will see her Aunt and I will see my friend Stacey. She asked us immediately if we could come back. God is good. 

Heavenly Father led me by the spirit this week and boy did I need it. But I am a stronger person because of it. One night I called Sister Purcell and as she was uplifting me she said, "Sister Whitcomb, their are more Stacey's for us to find!" Yes, yes there is. And I will do anything to find them. I am not kidding, on my way here to type out this email I felt prompted to turn around and talk to this couple on a bench. So we did it. And all they needed was an invitation to pray about The Book of Mormon and their hearts were softened. They too will be "Staceys" someday for some missionaries. And their lifes will be changed for good. 
I love this work. I know it's true and that is Gods. No one else can do any of this with out him. I know he's taking care of my purple haired friend and that he's taking care of me. This mission has changed me, changed me for good. And I am not, nor will I ever, go back to who I was before. I am the new improved Sister Whitcomb and I love it. 
And I love all of you. And I hope you will all continue to join me in this wonderful journey back to our loving Heavenly Father. We must press forward! I sure am. :)
Love, Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment