Wednesday, August 26, 2015

New things: Sister Wardinsky and Jamul

MI FAMILIA!
How for art thou?
I miss you all alot!
School has started up here in El Cajon so I've been thinking about our soon to be 5th, 9th and 11th graders! (I just got weirded out while typing that) Man. Time is flying! I can't believe I'm out of training, now I don't have any excuse for messing up! Just kidding, it's awesome.
So--big news! I have a new companion! Not just any companion, a Sister who's actual mission is on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. She's in San Diego for three months as a full proselyting missionary. I feel so lucky that out of all the Sisters I get to be her companion and help her adjust to the full proselyting life! It's so cool and I get to know all the secrets about Temple Square! I love it!
Her name is Sister Wardinsky. She is from Houston, Texas. She has been out for about nine months and she's 19 just like me! That's pretty sweet. She will have her birthday here. If we stay together for two transfers we can celebrate together!!! She's an awesome companion, I am so lucky. She is so smiley and positive and makes street contacting super fun and very memorable! She connects with people really well and always relates everything back to a gospel principle. I've learned a lot from her already. And I've needed to--with our new assignment we are not only covering the Hillsdale area, but we are also covering the Jamul Ward/area. When I first heard that, I thought "How in the world am I going to help that area?" Let me explain. Jamul is a huge area, probably could fit 20 or more Hillsdale areas into Jamul. It's huge, goes down to the Mexican border and it's all dirt roads, not many houses, a lot of wind-y roads, a lot of mountains, not a lot of people. The Elders that were serving there before were struggling a lot. They said they would walk for an hour or two due to limited car miles, and would be lucky if they would talk to one person. Not quite encouraging for the new Sisters. But I only tell you this to explain that this is probably one of the best experiences of my life. Heavenly Father knew I needed a mountain to climb, and I am taking it full force. I'm glad I'm still serving in Hillsdale but meeting the Bishop and the members of the Jamul ward this past Sunday, I couldn't help but love the people! Saturday was really the day we took on Jamul. The Bishop (nicest guy ever) wrote down things for us to know about each member of the ward on a directory, who we should visit and so on. That was extremely helpful. Even though we have a GPS, we still got lost. Streets in the directory aren't the actual names of the streets. We couldn't find house numbers. We felt pretty disappointed most of Saturday that we weren't able to help the Lord's work move forward and help the ward. We didn't let that stop us. We said a lot of prayers that day. We refocused and asked to see people placed in our path. Our mission president said that the goal is to talk to at least 10 people each day, not including the ones you have appointments with. I knew it was going to be a struggle to do that in Jamul. We found some streets to walk on that seemed to have civilization. We prayed every which way we turned and at one point we turned a corner and saw a person walking--we were both so shocked that we gasped! It was pretty funny. We were talking to another man on a bike who seemed maybe like he was not all there. Sister Wardinsky is really good at summing up the restoration in a minute (I guess she must have to do that a lot on Temple Square) and inviting them to read The Book of Mormon. When we gave this man a book, his reaction was the best. He held it in his hands and he said "Wow. This feels like GOLD!" Little does he know, it is. I hope he reads it and finds comfort in it.
I have learned so many lessons in Jamul and I haven't even been here a week yet! I am constantly reminded that Salvation for souls is not easy. It wasn't easy for Jesus Christ so why should it be easy for us? Sister Wardinsky knows that if we are committed we will see success. So we are committed to being solid missionaries.
We have to rotate where we attend church each Sunday because the Hillsdale and Jamul wards start at the same time. This Sunday we went to the Jamul Sacrament Meeting. It was the best Sacrament Meeting I have ever been to; I'm not kidding. We walked in, tried to introduce ourselves to as many people as we could, and let me tell you, it is THE BEST replacing Elders because everyone was so excited to have sister missionaries!!! They can't believe it!! We gave a lot of hugs (don't worry--females only). :) When the Bishop stood up to announce the change and introduce us, he got a little emotional. Sister Wardinsky and I both agree that we probably were an answer to this Bishop's prayers. No pressure, but I really take it more as an honor. The Lord has trusted me to help this ward and I'm going to do everything in my power to help them. I feel like they are going to help ME more than I help them, but it's all part of the Lord's plan!
Taking the sacrament on Sunday was also really powerful for me. Just knowing that through Christ anything is possible, that he can help me do anything, he can make up for my weaknesses and he can help me improve and start over. After taking the water, I put the cup back in the tray and it felt like I was putting my mistakes in there as well. It's a new week, a new Sister Whitcomb. I will help change this ward! While the sacrament was still begin administered, I was flipping through the hymn book and came across a hymn that was unfamiliar to me. It's called "Lean on My Ample Arm" I liked the second verse best: "Lift up thy tearful eyes, Sad heart, to me; I am the sacrifice offered for thee. In me thy pain shall cease, In me is thy release, In me thou shalt have peace eternally." It hit me hard. So powerful.
A while back Sister Stewart and I were looking into an apartment complex where a potential investigator lived. We were in the wrong apartment complex, but we ran into a woman named Crystal. She is a young mom. We asked if she wanted to learn more about the gospel, and she did, and wants us to teach her child. We have been teaching her! On our first visit, she committed to be baptized and set a date!! That was a huge miracle and I'm so glad Sister Wardinsky was able to experience it. I'm excited about her future. If we hadn't opened our mouths to talk to her, we wouldn't have been able to take part in her miracle. Missionary life is great. Double covering (two areas) is awesome, and I am the luckiest sister missionary in the world!
As for Sister Stewart, no surprise to find out that she is now a sister training leader! She is over other sisters and she goes on exchanges with them and helps them. Sort of like a zone leader but for sisters. I was not surprised when they announced that--She is the BEST!!!
I want you all to know that I wouldn't want to be anywhere in the world but here in Hillsdale and Jamul. I want you to know how much I have grown over this week, and that I have complete trust and love in the Lord. I know that through him all things are possible. For everyone. Even you. Turn to him, pray to him daily. He loves you and wants to hear from you!! And I do as well! I can't even begin to express my love for all of you, and I would love to hear how all of your lives are going!!!! Miss you all!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment