Monday, August 10, 2015

rescuing souls -and- bunnies

HELLLLOOOOOO MY FAMILY!!!!!!
How for art thou?
I miss you tons!
But of course I couldn't be more happy!
Life is so good, a couple of bumps in the road but we keep cruising! San Diego is bright and sunny, sometimes a little too hot and some humidity has sneaked up on us. But I can't complain! Miracles are happening everyday.
On Wednesday we had a lesson with Elijah and Arthur (Arthur is the recent convert we baptized a month ago). It was going pretty well, but we did get scared because Arthur's testimony was shaky and not really there. We tried to answer his questions and reassure him but nothing was really working. Elijah the 12 year old stood strong no matter what was being said, and he kept saying he knew the gospel was true. Love that kid! We left the lesson feeling really shaky and overwhelmed. And for the first time on my mission (yes this was a first) I let a couple of tears go. It made me sad. I could even feel that there was contention creeping up in my companionship with Sister Stewart a little bit. We talked it out, made a game plan, called some leaders and kept right on going.
So we had a lesson a couple of days later and it was better; not completely but better none the less. We taught him the law of tithing. And I was amazed with how well Elijah took it. He took it so well that right after we explained it and we were about to move on to fasting, he jumped up, grabbed a tithing slip and asked us to help him fill it out. IT WAS SOOOO COOL! Even before he was baptized he wanted to pay tithing! He inspires me. We had another lesson this Sunday, and our concerns for Arthur were basically swiped clean. The ward members really helped him. It's just a testimony to me that recent converts need friends besides the missionaries to stay active and build on their testimonies!! So ask the missionaries who you can help!!!! Missionaries always need it and appreciate it!!!
But anyway, back to the lesson, it was right after church, and it was fast and testimony meeting. Well we go to our lesson and Eli tells us that he's fasting!!! Once again, HE'S SO COOL!! I definitely did not fast before I was baptized, so to see him do this is just so awesome. The Lord prepares so many people it blows me away! So the week started out shaky but ended super solid!!! We've been praying real hard as a companionship and the Lord has answered our prayers. Our hard work is paying off!!!
This past Friday we also had District meeting and it was SUPER fun! Our District leader prepared a lesson about likening the scriptures to ourselves, and how in order to help our investigators do that, we have to know how to do it ourselves. So we had a scripture chase! He cut out lambs and they were hidden around the church building and we had to read the scriptures, liken them unto ourselves, to find the lamb, and of course it was a competition against the other missionaries. My favorite one was 3 Nephi 27:29, "Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened." When we read this my first thought was the front door, but nothing. Then I remembered my district leader said he and his companion would be in the gym while we were looking for the lambs. So I knocked on the gym door, they said come in, we asked for the lamb and BANG! We got it. Super creative. In the end we tied with the Elders. But super cool and fun. We then got back and taught part of the Restoration, using only scriptures from The Book of Mormon that we were to apply in the lesson. It's gone quite well! We have to use The Book of Mormon, since it's one thing that makes our church unique. It holds our church together! SO READ IT! I can promise you will be edified each time.
We also had a really cool experience at a member's home on Saturday. She's a cute spunky older lady and her husband is not a member. She asked us to share a message about the importance of spending time with your family. I LOVED IT! Studying for it was so fun and it made me so very grateful for the family that I do have and all the memories I have made with all of you! But most importantly we went over the fact that we are all a part of God's family, and that he's looking out for us and one way he has done that is by giving us our earthly family. I know for sure that my whole family was placed in my life for a reason and I am forever grateful for that! We shared a verse and the chorus from the primary song "The Family is of God." It goes, "Our Father has a family, it's me, it's you, all others too, we are His children. He sent each one of us to earth, through birth, to live and learn here in families... God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be--this is how He shares His love, for the family is of God." It really touched the member when we shared that.
And we also shared a video called "Our Fun Family Vacation." LOOK IT UP!
It's so cute and reminds me of how much fun I have with my family and how much more fun I can have with them! But I love how it talks about the importance of spending time with family. Prioritize yourself! What's more important, a phone call, technology, even work, or your family? Families are eternal. Other things are not. I love the quote by Dieter F. Uchtdorf that says, "Love is spelled T-I-M-E. Time."
Show your love by sacrificing your time! Plan something fun, do something nice! And remember that when you serve others, you serve God as well.
I hope all of you know how much I love you and how much I cherish each relationship with all of you. My companion knows so many things about all of you. Sometimes we might or might not laugh at all of you. But just know that I love you!
And it's amazing that Heavenly Father has allowed me to love others, complete strangers, just as much as I love all of you! They are my brothers and sisters, children of God and I want them to have the best gift possible! This gospel.
We had some really cool experiences with street contacting this week that were definitely not a coincidence. We met super cute families, people that have taken lessons from missionaries before, and people who are struggling. We set up a lot of appointments for this week and I am so excited to see the Lord's hand even more in this work!
This morning something kind of cool happened. So today was not a running day, so Sister Stewart and I were enjoying a very nice and cool, yet sunny morning walk. When all of a sudden we spot a bunny in the road, still alive, but not moving. Sister Steward did not want to touch the bunny but I could not leave it in the road to die! So I slowly approached it, seeing if it would run away, but the bunny did not. So I picked her up and put her in a bush. She just sat there, but we kept walking. We turned around, due to limited exercising time and walked back. When we came back the bunny had not moved. It looked hurt, bleeding a little from it's nose and behind it's eye. So I gently picked it up and carried it home.
That's right--I carried a cute soft bunny home! And she almost fell asleep! We just put the bunny on the front porch and called some animal rescue place to see if they could help. Her leg was a little bent and she was bleeding. We checked on her every so often--she didn't move but she was still breathing! We moved her away from the door and into the bushy area, hopefully she'll get out of there soon or the rescue place will call us! My companion told me I had done my good deed for the day. Feels good. Really good. Hopefully Tippy won't eat her. He better not.
El Cajon couldn't be treating me better! Super nice members, we got fed almost every night last week! That was legit, and I haven't gained any weight so that's even more legit! Transfers are coming up in two weeks. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm almost done with training!!! Super weird but I can't wait to see what else the Lord has in store for me! Love you all!!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb
P.S. This is one of our favorite members! Sister Krage is the bomb and she always feeds us healthy food and it's always SOOOOOOOO delicious! We love it and her. (Polka dots for days!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment