Tuesday, September 8, 2015

bread cookies beat Taco Bell -or- Ricky and the border patrol

Hey Howdy Hey!!!
How's my favorite bunch of family and friends?
It's so good to see all the pictures, funny videos and to see you all thriving in the gospel!
That truly is a blessing in my life! And thank you for writing me, I really appreciate it. It's not always easy to write back immediately but I try to do my best, be patient with me.
:)
This week, there were ups and downs all around.
Laughs, some tears, but I'm getting further up my mountain!
Sister Wardinsky and I have really been trying to seek answers to how we can get creative in our missionary service to see the fruits of our labors. So we got an impression that we should sing to people, whether in lessons or on the street. So we went into La Vida Real to see a less active older member. She's the sweetest thing; we taught her a quick message and scripture about how Heavenly Father loves us and how we are his children. So we decided to sing her one verse of "I am a Child of God."
I really enjoyed it, felt the spirit and we were in tune. Pretty good, right? So after we finish, this older lovely lady goes "Well that was interesting."
Sweet. Thanks. We laugh about it all the time!
:)
Also we recently baked cookies for different missionaries who were having birthdays, but they didn't come out too good. More like bread cookies, you know? Really, it was my fault, haha, go figure! Anyways, we had a bag of them in our car to give to an Elder when we were gonna see him. But we stopped at one of  our investigators homes who we haven't seen in a while. When we saw him he was super hungry and needed food! So we grabbed that bag of bread cookies. Perfect! He didn't have too many teeth, so he could eat the soft cookies. As we were leaving he yelled out to us "Whoever baked these cookies knew what they were doing!"
Haha that was awesome! Heavenly Father knew they had to be bread cookies!
Not only can we be inspired missionaries, we can be inspired cooks as well!
I have recently been able to be very heart-felt every single time I bear my testimony. It makes it so much more meaningful for me and the person we are teaching. I know what we are teaching is true, and I hope they see how much of my heart is in this, because it's ALL of my heart!
And can I just say how AWESOME the bishop is in the Jamul Ward?!?!? So awesome!! He takes us out to get to know the area better, and so we don't have to use all our miles on the car. He is sort of being the ward mission leader since the current one is pretty sick. He helps us in any way that he can and always shows his support! And I figured out that the Isoms in the Jamul ward know Aunt Joy! Janelle Isom grew up with Aunt Joy in the Granite Hills ward, which is in my stake! She just randomly asked me if I knew her and Uncle Ben since I was from Massachusetts! She just thought she would try... And apparently Aunt Joy is related to Rebecca Seiley somehow (the Bishop's wife). So somehow I am connected to the Seileys?!?! If that's true, SO COOL!
On Friday we had a really GREAT zone meeting. It was all genius guidance and counsel, but my favorite part is when they brought up the parable of the unprofitable servant. It's found in Luke 17:6-10. It talks about how this servant is commanded to do all that his master has asked him to do, and he should expect no thanks. Interesting. But if we look at it as the Lord as our master and we are the servants, we are already in teh Lord's debt. He has done everything for us and we will NEVER be able to pay him back, no matter what we do. So no matter how hard I work on my mission, I shouldn't necessarily expect anything, but I owe him everything! We should do everything out of love for the Lord and our Savior. And when we go the extra mile it will increase our faith in them. Our zone leaders challenged us to ask ourselves: "What can you give up to be a better servant for our Savior?"
That's something I'm asking myself everyday and something that I'm working on everyday. I challenge everyone to do the same as well. It totally makes you humble.
My zone found out that I had never been to Taco Bell and thought that apparently I was deprived. (I didn't think so) So for our zone lunch we all went to Taco Bell, so I can now say I've gone there. It was alright, but hopefully I won't have to go ever again.
the zone
We are also teaching Sky more regularly. He is such a great guy, the definition of humble and I can't wait for him to grow closer to our Savior and follow his example. He's amazing, his family is amazing as well! I love their family so much! And it's true--you get connected to these people a lot. No matter what happens, no matter what decision they make, I will always love the people I've come to know and teach. They will be a part of my life forever. Nothing will take these experiences and memories away from me, and it helps that I write in my journal every night or I'd totally forget! That's what I look at when I write my letter--so write in your journal! Plus it's always fun to laugh at yourself.
:)
Saturday was AMAZING!
We had a church tour with our investigator Michael. This was the first time Sister Wardinsky and I had ever given a church tour. Pretty exciting! And let me tell you, the spirit was sooooo strong. We walked through all the rooms of the church, showed him where he would go for classes, explained some pictures on the walls, and of course we saved the Chapel for last. When we entered, we hit a wall of spirit and he committed right there to go to church and said he was excited for the experience. IT WAS AWESOME! We also found someone else to teach in the Hillsdale ward--her name is Louisa, but she likes to be called Lucha! She is a fireball!
At 7:45 at night we knocked on her door because she had talked to missionaries before and she let us right in.
The first thing she said to us when we sat down was "How did you know I love to talk about the Lord?" Such a funny and sweet lady with a lot of stories and a huge love for our Savior. We started talking about what we believe and when I started to explain prophets and what they are and how God never changes she immediately asks "Where do you meet for church?"
WOW!!
That was so cool. She said she wouldn't be able to come this Sunday, but we are planning to give her a church tour this week and I'm pumped!! We showed her the Because He Lives video and she LOVED that. Before we left she blessed us by doing the cross on our forehead, and she gave us a big hug, and if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure she had tears in her eyes as we were leaving. She has a big heart and I love her already just with the half hour we spent with her! Good times to come with Lucha!
And the Sabbath, always the best day of the week, and it was Fast Sunday! So even better! Bishop Seiley in the Jamul Ward had asked us to fast for the missionary work to move forward and we have a lot of sick members in our ward, so to fast for them as well. It was quite a privilege to fast for all of them, such amazing and faithful people. I love them all! Sister Wardinsky and I decided to do splits this last Sunday with Sisters in the Hillsdale and Jamul Wards so we could cover both wards, since they start at the same time. So we went to the Jamul Ward Council and then split from there. She went to Hillsdale and I stayed in Jamul. It was an amazing testimony meeting and I felt prompted to go up, since I'm pretty new to the ward. Of course I introduced myself adn explained why I didn't have a companion with me and started expressing our gratitude for the members and how they don't even know how much impact they've had on us. Of course then the waterworks started coming (I blame and thank my mom for that). I have such a strong testimony of my Savior, how he has felt everything that I've ever felt or anyone has ever felt, how prayer is a powerful tool we can use everyday, and how we are never alone. I love the fourth verse of "How Firm a Foundation." It says "Fear not, I am with thee, o be not dismayed. For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee and help thee and cause thee to stand. Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."
I quoted that in my testimony and I felt the spirit so strongly. I know that I have no need to fear, I know that my Savior and Heavenly Father are always right there to protect me and I have felt that in my life. My companion also bore her testimony in Hillsdale. People told me it was very powerful. She quoted from the First Vision and bore her testimony on Joseph Smith. She is awesome! Unfortunately Michael did not come to church. It was sad but I will never give up on him. He has a light and I will help turn that light into a fire!
Josh came to church, so that was awesome!
Yesterday was quite the day as well. We had a plan to teach a lesson in Jamul to an investigator. It's like a 25 minute drive, and I forgot to say in my last letter that in some areas you have to go past a border check point and then coming back these border patrol people ask you some questions to make sure you're not an immigrant. When we went through the first time it felt pretty cool--now we do it all the time. We love it!
Anyways, we went to a lesson with a member of the bishopric and his daughter who is preparing to go on a mission, and our investigator was not there. Bummer. BUT, Amy, the daughter, was texting her friend who lived next door and said we were near by, and asked if we could come over and teach a lesson! How cool is that!?
We taught the restoration to her friend and her friend's parents. I'm not sure how interested they are but they said they would read the Book of Mormon! So cool! Members are the best!!!!!
I'm loving life, couldn't be happier, wouldn't want to be anywhere else! And I love you all and I thank you for loving me too, I know it's not always easy, and I appreciate and feel all the prayers you say for me!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb
PS Our bishopric counselor has a pet tortoise named Ricky who will live to be about 175 and I got to feel him! Brother Goidrich said he could give me a ride if I wanted--who knows, maybe I'll ride this tortoise someday!

EDITOR'S NOTE: Janelle Isom in the Jamul ward was in Aunt Joy's ward growing up. They are god friends that went to High School together. The bishop in the Jamul ward is married to Aunt Joy's cousin Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment