Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Penasquitos with Sister Chan

My Dearest Family and friends,
The day has finally arrived for me to tell you where the Lord has put me: I'm in Penasquitos, in the Black Mountain YSA Branch. Can you believe it? YSA??? I'm still slightly shocked. I never thought I would serve in a YSA. And I never thought I would have a companion from Hong Kong but here I am, fulfilling both those surprises. Sister Chan is my new companion!! And it's her last transfer!!! So sad. She's so funny and super cool! She's very quiet. But her English is pretty good. It's weird to have language study in the morning when I don't have to learn a language, so I just study the area.
With my new companion Sister Chan
We had to go shopping when we first got in the area, and Sister Chan tells me it's at this Asian Market, because it's the cheapest. Sweet. So we walk on... EVERYONE's ASIAN. So weird to just come from a place where everyone is Chaldean and now everyone is Asian.  How many countries are in San Diego? And I was in a district with the Arabic Elders but now I'm in a zone with Tagalog Elders. So cool! And now I've gone from living in a member's house where we have everything to living in an apartment where there is no cat (I guess a plus) and very quiet. But that's okay because I'm learning to love it! And of course I do love it! The water tastes a little funky but that's okay because members always offer us water and I always say yes! Gotta stay hydrated. ;)
My last area, El Cajon, was more like the countryside and now Penasquitos is more like the city. It's cooler, so that's nice to actually get weather I thought San Diego would be like. It also rained!!!! How grateful I was for rain! It actually felt like Fall, so that was legit!!
As for missionary work, it's going kind of slow. When I got to this area they had two investigators--not very solid. I still haven't met either of them. They don't answer their phone or their door. That could potentially be a problem. But just like I learned from Grampy, "This is Good!" And why is it good? Because I get to develop my finding skills as a missionary, and the Christlike attribute of patience. It's awesome!!!
I met the Branch Mission leader, it's weird to say branch instead of ward, but is soon will be a ward! Sister Chan and I can feel it! Anyway, I met him and it was weird for him not to be a Dad or Grandpa, but I guess I'll have to get used to it; don't know if I will. We cover the whole stake as YSA missionaries, so it's another big area to get to know in a transfer. Sweet! The sisters before me had been working with recent converts and a lot of less actives, because you can imagine at the age of YSAs, there are tons. But I love them all! I really feel like I've been sent here for these people and everyone I've met I have felt a connection with them. It's awesome!! As YSA sisters we show up to Family Home Evening and activities that happen weekly. On Wednesday they were supposed to have a Karaoke night, and I was supposed to meet everyone, but neither happened. About six people showed up and they just got frozen yogurt instead. We ran home for curfew.
The next day was weekly planning, but with that we were able to add someone!!!!!!!!!! Such a cool thing, doorstep lesson, simple yet powerful testimony, and BAM! The spirit enters. The Restoration rocks!!! His name is Brian, he's open to learning more but has some concerns. I just thought it was a miracle we found someone from ages 18-30 who is single and not a member and interested in the gospel enough to set a return appointment. So cool! YSA work is hard yet so worth it. They are so prepared. I just think about Taylor McDaniel and Arthur, technically YSA age and so prepared. So I pray to find those people in that specific age range everyday! And we met one of them Sunday night.
To start the story off, the sisters before me had received several referrals from a missionary who is serving out of the branch. He wanted us to try some of his friends. He thought it might be their time. But he does not know their addresses, so we are just going off of his descriptions; slightly difficult when the descriptions are: "Fourth or fifth house on this street, it has a big tree in the front yard."
Great, you just described half of the houses on the street, and which side of the street? I love guessing games! So we were walking and there was this guy working on his car in front of one of the prospective houses we were going to find. I asked him if he was this person, and he wasn't. But Sister Chan just whipped out the Restoration pamphlet and off we went teaching him a simple yet powerful lesson on the street. Perfect timing on the Lord's part, because he said he's at a low in his life. Well boy, do we have a message that can get him right back up! He loved a lot of it, didn't believe one part, but I'm not too concerned. The truth gets you one way or another! We weren't able to set up a return appointment, but we were able to leave him with a copy of The Book of Mormon and challenged him to read and pray. I love bearing my testimony about The Book of Mormon. I try to do it as much as possible. The spirit is always present when I do. It definitely was there that night when we were talking to this guy. We got his phone number and address and we look forward to following up with him! :)
Continuing on from Thursday night, I met the Branch President, President Fisler. He's a sweet man and really cares about missionary work. I love people like that!!!! There are a ton of new move ins he gave us to check out so I'm excited for that!
Now Friday means district meeting! Once again we are the only Sisters--not just in the district but in the zone as well. Anytime I see sisters, which is not often, I get so excited! I LOVE SISTERS!!! Anyway, Elder Fiso is back in my district and is my zone leader again. He's the Hawaiian, and is a great Elder. Elder Augusto also followed me from El Cajon to Penasquitos. It was nice to have familiar faces. Elder Clark is my new district leader and he did a fun lesson on The Importance of The Book of Mormon. We played a fun jeopardy game which involved dancing and singing to "Do as I'm doing." (Thankfully I did not have to do that.) and acting out your favorite Book of Mormon story. (I did have to do that.) It was quite fun--it emphasized how I need to know The Book of Mormon better; need to be better at having a scripture for every point in our lessons. It's a goal I have.
This last weekend was possibly the best weekend ever!!! It went by too fast. General Conference just blew me out of the water. Three new Apostles, a powerful testimony from our prophet and talks that left me in tears. Just to name a few that I loved (and if you have not read or listened to them, you NEED to.) Larry R. Lawrence, Robert D. Hales, Jeffrey R. Holland and Russell M. Nelson. LOVED IT!!! I can't wait to reread them and reread them! Probably the one that stuck out most to me and I've applied the most since and during conference was Larry R. Lawrence, the "What Lack I Yet?" talk. So many inspired answers I have gotten already from my loving Heavenly Father. So Saturday and Sunday were pretty much filled with conference, trying people but getting no answer, and meeting less actives in the branch.
Something that is typical in YSA life as a missionary is that you don't get fed. The YSAs are poor just like us. The only way they'll feed us is if their parents do. One parent was kind enough to feed us on Sunday night. Doing member missionary lessons is awesome and this area has members full with so many ideas and ready to share the gospel! I'm pumped!!! Then Monday was super fun because it was so busy, and I just LOVE busy days. They put a smile on your face and a jump in your step. So we first stopped by a less active who is really struggling. We started to teach him and we discovered he hardly had a testimony, but he wanted it to be true. My heart hurt for him, but we told him what we knew, we told him we knew he was loved by his father in heaven and that he had someone who died and took his sins, just for him. And there are so many ways that we can receive comfort in our lives and two of those ways are by reading The Book of Mormon and getting on our knees and praying to our father in heaven. He wanted to do those two things badly. Sister Chan said she was shocked because he has never been willing to do those things before. I'm glad he is now. We also did some well needed service for a woman who is not a member, but has been an investigator, along with her YSA age daughter. It was nice to see that we could lift part of a burden.
We had a member lesson with a recently moved in branch member; an RM sister. She's so cool! It went great, commitments were left and missionary work will soon happen! Then we met with a less active, and we weren't really sure what to teach him but I felt prompted during studies to teach him fasting. One of the first things that came out of his mouth when we sat down was "I don't really understand fasting." Perfect.
We had dinner at our apartment and then went to a recent convert's house. She was baptized in June and reminds me so much of Taylor. She wants so badly to share the gospel with others, especially her family. Her mom is not a member and her brother is less active. Her prayer was so sweet and so sincere. She prayed for God to be able to help her do missionary work; especially with the ones she loves. I love the spirit.
We went to FHE again, and that was super weird. There was a non member there randomly. He is engaged to a member who lives in La Jolla who I guess used to be a part of this branch. She was about to give him a church tour and I asked if we could join. It was awesome. We explained what Sunday was like, where everyone goes, what we learn, what is awesome about this gospel! And we ended in the chapel. I'm in love with the chapel. You can always tell the difference when you walk in, especially when it's empty and quiet. I know he felt that difference. In fact he said he did. So we gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he'd read it. He lives outside of our mission so we'd have to refer him. That's okay because I'll be happy to be a part of any growing process for anyone in the church. Member or not!
As you can tell I'm happy as always, busy as always and learning lots. I feel like this letter doesn't do anything justice in terms of all the experiences I've had. The only way you'll know what I'm feeling is if you do it too! Not necessarily go on a mission; that would be awesome, but just serve others, come closer to Christ. And I promise you will be the happiest you've ever been. I love you all! A LOT!!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment