Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Positive, Persistent and Patient in Penasquitos

Hello Loved Ones!!!!!!!
Boy, things are picking up more in PQ and I feel like I have more things to write about! I'll just say right off the bat that there is probably no way I'll be able to see Elder Schenewark on Halloween if he comes to the San Diego temple.  Major holidays are generally nights we go in early for safety reasons. While he's at the temple I'll either be working or in our apartment. If he's coming to San Diego that's sooooo cool!!!! It's the best place ever!!!!!!!
This past week has been pretty eventful, for which I am eternally grateful.
On Wednesday morning Sister Chan and I were trying to find some referrals, and just talking to people on the street. We literally talk to everyone, no matter how awkward it can be. So this guy was walking by, pretty fast, and we asked if we could share a card with him. His response was "If you can keep up with me." Okay--challenge accepted. So we speed walked up this hill, keeping up with him, all while sharing our testimonies of the gospel and Jesus Christ. We even asked him if he'd ever consider becoming a member of the church. He declined and did not know anyone who could use the message. But it was fun to show our efforts and how much we love this work! I can only imagine what people thought as they were driving by in their cars... "Who are these girls dressed up and speed walking with someone who clearly doesn't want to talk to them?" Yep, that's us!
This week we taught the Chinese class again! It was SOOOO much fun! This time Sister Chan really took over and had us split into groups, the Elders were there as well and each of us took three or four Chinese adults and helped them learn to pronounce English words.
It was so fun! I got to help three sweet old ladies. Some are sooo good at speaking English, others not so much. It was so much fun to work with them. They kept saying thank you to me, over and over again. These people are heaven sent. I feel so lucky to be able to help them! Can't wait for next week!
That same day I taught a lesson I thought I would never teach--the importance of dating and marriage. Sister Chan said she has taught quite a few of those lessons since being in PQ. Oh boy! It went well, and definitely was directed by the spirit. We've also taught quite a few family history lessons... like really getting into it, especially with less actives and recent converts. Every lesson we finished you could see a light in their eyes and a desire to know more about their relatives. I even got excited! SO DO FAMILY HISTORY, YOUR RELATIVES ARE AWESSSOOOMMEEEEE!!! And watch the video "Family History: What I Found." It's legit.
This past Friday we also had interviews with our mission president, President Schmitt. He's an inspired man and left me with so many thoughts and so many new ways to help myself, my companion and this small YSA branch. The lessons I got out of my interview were:
Be positive.
Be persistent.
Be patient.
These are three things I struggle with, but I am definitely improving! I for sure needed that interview with him. It helped me so much and I will forever be grateful to him for it. Also to Sister Schmitt, who I can actually hug and I love doing that! She sat down with Sister Chan and I and we went over who we are teaching, what they are struggling with, and she gave us different ideas on how to help them progress towards baptism. She's a genius! I know now to see if any YSA members are dating non members, to teach the Restoration right away, The restoration is a powerful lesson, I suggest everyone request the missionaries to teach it to them, especially if you haven't heard it in a while. Have them over for dinner. Then ask them to teach that specifically! We need to make sure we aren't being selfish and keeping this glorious message to ourselves. SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD! But of course follow the spirit, but act as well. Take a step in the dark, a leap of faith. I do it everyday and it's the best thing EVER!
In my interview President Schmitt also emphasized how this work can not go on without the members. It can't. Especially YSA. So I brought it up at branch council. We'll see what happens. Sometimes when I say things I'm like "Did I really just say that? Why was I so bold?"
I know the answer. The spirit told me to say it so I said it. So don't resist the spirit, act upon it.
Also we taught a really powerful dinner lesson with some members. It was about The Book of Mormon. We had them go around the table and bear their testimonies of The Book of Mormon. So powerful. Then we watched a video I'm pretty sure I've referenced before in my letters, "Testimony of The Book of Mormon."  So good. Then we said a prayer and asked who could use this book. They got a name--a less active girl who is in a family ward, but is supposed to be in the YSA branch. We will find her and rescue her! I'm so excited!!!!!!
Also we again experienced the importance of talking to everyone. We were trying to find a less active late at night; to invite him to various activities and trying to meet with him. No luck. The complex was gated. But we were walking by the parking lot and saw a woman with a baby and some groceries. We walked over and asked her if she needed any help. She then asked us if we were Sisters. It turns out she is a member! And she gave us the code to get into the apartment complex! And she told us she's doing missionary work with her neighbor! So we told the elders, since that's their area. SO COOL! Gated communities are truly never gated. You just have to wait around enough to let the Lord help you.
Last Saturday some Elders in the zone had a baptism so we decided to bring Caleb to show him what it is like. After the baptism we were asking how he was feeling. He then proceeded to tell us that he had a dream that President Monson baptized him! Alright!!!! Sweet!!! So after the baptism we had a lesson with him and set him with a baptismal date. Legit. On my mommy's birthday, November 7th! Hopefully it will happen. I know through Christ anything is possible.
On Friday we had a moment while exercising. We were walking through a park next to our apartment which is next to a college campus. We turned the corner and all of a sudden we saw this big guy laying on the sidewalk. I thought he was not alive. Scared me. But then all of a sudden we see his big belly moving up and down and then we heard the snoring. Nice. As we passed by he reeked of alcohol. Oh college.
And since it appears we love to run after people, on Saturday we were in another complex trying to contact potential investigators. No luck. All of a sudden Sister Chan spots a young woman dragging a big hamper of laundry. We ran over to help her, and then end of the story is that we ended up teaching her and adding her as an investigator! We learned that when you show the Lord you're willing to run to people, he will prepare them to hear the gospel!!! It's awesome!!!
We had a Relief Society get together that same night. We were asked to teach a small spiritual thought. We killed it! We talked about the blessings we have through prophets and service. We showed them the video "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today." The spirit was so strong, and after the video our Relief Society President interrupted us to tell us that she had asked her less active brother's girlfriend to listen to the missionary lessons. SHE SAID YES!!!!!!!! I'm sooo pumped! And I'm so glad she told us in front of everyone, so everyone can see how easy it is and how much joy it can bring! I sure showed them it brought ME joy because I got SO excited!
Now the Sabbath Day: a day I love and a day I always desperately need. At the start of sacrament meeting there were literally only five people in the congregation, including us. Of course some people still came in late but I think we only had 20 total people in sacrament meeting. So sad! Especially since the talks were KILLER! One from a high councilman and the other from the Stake Young Men's President, and even the stake president was there! I sure hope to leave this branch a better place than I found it! But it definitely requires more than just me to help. We also taught the Relief Society Lesson. It was entitled "Feed My Sheep." Really fitting. We showed the video "Reach Out With Love." So good, you should all see it and then do what it shows! The lesson was so good. Everyone participated. The spirit rocks! Then that same night we got to attend the Mission President's fireside in EL CAJON!!! Oh my goodness, on the ride over I got SO excited as I started to see familiar land marks from my old area. Sister Carlson and I auditioned last week to perform a musical number there, the same one we did in the MTC, "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing." Sister Carlson KILLED it. She was even the last one to perform she was so good! It was fun to see the other missionaries I served with including SISTER WARDINSKY!!!!!!!!! It was so good to see her and get updates on my previous investigators! LOVE HER! Also I got to see members that I love from my previous area! Sister Krage, Sister Hixson, The Seileys, the Goodriches and Ivars Bezdechi. It was awesome! Spirit is always so strong and I love singing in a missionary choir!The best!!!!
Then yesterday a cool thing happened at 8:55 pm. Five minutes before curfew, we didn't want to waste those five minutes so we decided to walk around our complex. We saw this YSA guy sitting on a bench typing on his phone and listening to music. We went up and talked to him. And boy, were we meant to. He told us about his whole life story! Very sad. But awesome that we got to share this wonderful gospel with him! I truly felt at that moment that Christ knew EXACTLY what he was going through at that moment. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and Sister Chan was AWESOME and invited him to be baptized. He was clearly shocked by how bold she was, but he said he would eventually. LEGIT! God's preparing everyone. We just don't know who, so we have to talk to everyone! Give them all a chance! Ten chances if they need it!
I love you all. I know this letter is so long but so many things are happening and it's SO AWESOME! Never forget that I love each and every one of you. I root for you everyday! Keep being the best people EVER!
Much love,
Sister Whitcomb

P.S. Another of the many reasons I LOVE Sister Chan: She cooks for me!!
And I eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment