Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Church is so awesome people!

!!!!!MI FAMILIA!!!!!
First off, HAPPY DAY LATE BIRTHDAY DADDDDDD!!! AND HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!!!!! I love you both so much, I hope you got my letters. It doesn't even begin to describe how much I love you!!!! Are you all just loving the fall winter? I hope so! I always enjoy when a cold breeze comes up, and it's now sweater weather! (Sort of, as much as it can get in San Diego).

ANYWAYS, can I just start off with how amazing missionary work is? So do you remember Rodney? The one we had a specific prayer for and we awesomely street contacted him?? Well we had a return appointment a week ago, right after PDay. We had it in our Branch Mission Leaders home since he lives right down the street. Spirit was strong, he had a lot of questions and he said an awesome prayer at the end. And guess what..... HE COMMITTED TO BAPTISM FOR NOVEMBER 28th!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so prepared. I'm so excited! But he didn't come to church this past Sunday....... Church is so awesome people! You're denying yourself so many blessings if you don't go!!!!! But we are meeting with him again tonight to see if we can help with anything and see what his concerns are. I'M PUMPED!
Another cool specific prayer that was answered during nightly planning: after the prayer I felt impressed to go to a less active's house. So we did. We set up a return appointment and Sister Chan had said that she didn't think he was interested. In the past he avoided the missionaries. But we went back and taught him and he told us that he was reading in the scriptures and it just stuck out to him that he should come to church. And then we showed up on his doorstep and then he really knew. But guess what--after our beast lesson he didn't come to church. But he will, I have faith. He's a good guy.
Then we taught Caleb, he's such a nice guy. So close to baptism, not quite there. We are going to the temple with him this week, so hopefully that will help him become motivated to work for this wonderful gospel!!!!!!
Then the classic English class; I love that class! We split up into little groups again and I had two of the same ladies from last time and an older man. We had so much fun! I truly love them. This time we were teaching them words that we use in association with the scriptures. So The Book of Mormon was there and we learned some dialogue having to do with reading the account of Christ coming to the Americas. They nailed it! And at the end the guy in my group said, "Miracle Day!" It was so cute, I love cheering them on. (Which I literally do after they say something right; it's the best! :))
We have been doing a lot of street contacting recently, it's so fun to be bold to people, but of course in a loving way. :)
So, as missionaries you can't back up the car without your companion getting out and "backing you." Mission rules. So as she was doing so she started talking to this guy and started talking about Jesus Christ and he just shouts out "I LOVE JESUS!" I always enjoy a good laugh and meeting a fellow who loves Christ as much as I do. But then he goes on to say, "oh wait, but not the Mormon Jesus."  Wait, what?
Oh how I love people!
SATURDAY! Halloween! And being Halloween we had to be in by 6:00, and I loved it! But funny story--Sister Chan and I did not have ANY candy, so therefore we could not give any away to trick or treaters. So as not to trick the little kids we shut off all our lights, outside and inside. Except one inside so we could plan. We were even whispering as we planned and then all of a sudden BANG BANG BANG. "TRICK OR TREAT!"
It sounded like an army of kids out there. Sister Chan mouthed to me "Don't move."
I felt so bad; lesson learned: be prepared with candy next Halloween. We never got any more trick or treaters but for the rest of the night we were like ninjas trying to avoid those little kids. We laughed, silently, a lot! I love Sister Chan! Speaking of Sister Chan, this is my last week with her! :(
She's going back to Hong Kong. I'm going to miss her so much. It won't be the same without my Asian companion!

The Sabbath is always a good day. Especially when it is Fast Sunday! This Sunday the whole branch was fasting for missionary work. And since church starts at 1:00pm we always do what we call Search and Rescue before church, to unite people who we haven't seen in a while to come to church and join us for our break the fast after church! Sister Chan and I went on splits and I went with a recent convert of one year; her name is Jessica. Sweetest thing. We stopped by this house and we had no idea who he was. But we were so lucky we stopped. His Grandma was there and she told us his whole situation. Jessica connected right away and was just so Christlike. I know we will see that guy in the branch soon. Jessica will work miracles; I just know it.
During Sacrament meeting the counselor who started with his testimony encouraged everyone to go up and just say what they believe. And literally the branch is so so small that everyone could bear their testimony. So Sister Chan went up there, it being her last fast Sunday. And then she pushed me to go up. So I did. And I'm glad I did. I love this branch so much, and I wanted them to know how much I love my Savior and how I know they are all there for a reason. (Shout out to Cherstin Parsons for helping me figure that out!) :)
It was awesome.
And we had crepes for break the fast! SO GOOD!!
Monday. So first off President had us set goals for how many baptisms we want by Christmas. We've been talking about faith a lot recently too. So Sister Chan and I prayed for our goal and we both got five. Five baptisms before Christmas. It will happen. I can see the people being prepared already. Then President Schmitt asked us to set a goal of 10 new investigators this week. When I heard that it just felt right. We've been so close to adding people this week, but have so many new potential investigators! It's awesome! Sunday night we had an appointment and we needed a female so we brought a recently returned missionary. Her name is Arianna. She just came back from Mexico! She is so cool!! Unfortunately the appointment fell through BUT she had set up a time with a less active to see and so we went with her. She also didn't end up being there, but her roommate was. He invited us in and we started teaching him the Restoration. Apparently we had met him before. He was there at my first night in the transfer, at a YSA activity. He is prepared. It took him a while to accept the Book of Mormon, but the spirit was too strong for him not to take it. When he finally took it, he said his heart was racing. Things look good for him. He would not set up a return appointment but when we left he said we could come back anytime. Okay--we will! ;)
On Monday we had jus planned to see a lot of YSA whose records had just been moved into the branch. We didn't see any of them and most of them had moved again or their addresses were nonexistent. Along the way we met two solid potential investigators! We tried to add them right there but it didn't quite work out. We gave them both a copy of The Book of Mormon and one of them even has relatives who are members of the church. No such thing as coincidences! And I know we will be able to go back and add them as new investigators this week! MISSIONARY WORK IS THE BEST! I hope you all get to experience it someday. I'm the happiest I've ever been, and I love you all! Remember to always smile and know that I'm cheering for you!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb
P.S. We are going to the temple today! I'M SO PUMPED I LOVE THE TEMPLE!!!!
:) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment