Tuesday, November 17, 2015

TRIO-RRIFFIC!!!!!

Hey Everybody!!!!
Are you as shocked at the title of my letter as I was?! That's right! I'M IN A TRIO!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! And not just any trio, an international trio! My companions are Sister Espanto and Sister Leyva! Sister Espanto is a temple square sister (can you believe I've had two companions from temple square???? Who would have thought?!)
Sister Espanto is from the Phillipines and she has been out on her mission for ten months. She's so cute and tiny! :) She always makes me laugh! And guess what? She's 31! She has the coolest story. She was less active for most of her life. And she decided to serve a mission! Her English is really good! And it's great because we have a Tagalog Ward in our Stake! She's teaching me a little Tagalog, likes to yell this word a lot, "kalabaw," she says it's caribou in English. I'm gonna have so much fun this transfer!
L to R: Sister Espanta, Sister Leyva, member friend, Sister Whitcomb

Sister Leyva is from Mexico. We actually came out together. She was in the MTC with me but she was in a different district so I never saw her until the airport. She also speaks very good English and I now find myself saying "Hermanas" a lot. I love it. We can street contact the whole world! Especially with the little mandarin I learned from the amazing Sister Chan! ;)
The miracles started happening right away after transfer meeting! We went to go teach a recent convert, and it went really well. We are pretty great at teaching! Especially in a trio!
But we walk out, see these two girls and start talking to them. One, Alexis, is really interested. A golden street contact. These maybe happen once a mission. We taught her a little bit of the Restoration, showed the Because He Lives video and gave her a Book of Mormon! She was so excited and so were we! We set a return appointment for the next day, said a prayer, gave each other hugs and ran to have sushi for dinner! It was so cool!! We were solo pumped we added someone on our first day!!!!! And the sushi was pretty delicious, treated by our Relief Society President. I tried eel! It was good. :)
Then when we came back to teach her, such a powerful lesson. She was eating it all up! And when baptism came up, she wanted to do it! She said that she would have with another church, but something physical stopped her and might still stop her. I whipped out Moroni 7:33 and said if she has the faith, it will happen, and she accepted for December 12th as her baptism date. Even in the closing prayer she asked Heavenly Father to help her reach her baptismal date. She unfortunately didn't come to church but she said she had an emergency. She's the best. She reminds me of Taylor McDaniel. Love her!
Then we had a lesson with the guy who came to last week's family home evening that got a church tour! The member, Devin, that set up the return appointment for us opened up his home and Bharat and Sunny (his room mate) came. A great restoration lesson filled with lots of questions, a commitment to be baptized and the spirit. No baptismal date yet, but soon! He came to church too! And he stayed at the linger longer!! We reset his baptismal date for December 12th! He didn't come to church but we called him and he seemed really sorry and we will see him on Wednesday. Don't worry, it will all work out in the end.
We also went to Chinese class. They said they needed us for groups. It was fun, definitely not the same without Sister Chan. Miss her!
And then our car did not have a good week. Our engine has been overheating a lot, and on Saturday we got a flat tire! I do not like spending three hours in pep boys or the car dealership. But patience was for sure developed. We might or might not have a video or us on the side of the road trying to fix our car, courtesy of Sister Espanto.
We also met with Raj, the girl who walked in on the member dinner. She was also prepared and eating the lesson up! She did not come to church, but she's so sweet and has great things in store for her!
Tony is Tony. He came to church for the second week in a row!!! When we went to teach him he said he was thinking about his baptism.... YEAH!!!!!!!!! He's cool, he needs the gospel too.
Then Sunday was awesome! We had two investigators and we taught a recently returned missionary's friend during second hour, it was awesome! She had so many questions and we had a great member present!! We didn't get to add her as an investigator but she texted us the next day asking some questions! I LOVED ALL THESE PREPARED PEOPLE IN PQ!!!
Then we went to a Spanish Mission President's Fireside because I was asked to play the piano, a last minute thing, so I got to practice once, it could have gone better but I did realize something really important. I shouldn't be more concerned about how many right notes I play but whether I'm doing a good job at bearing my testimony through the music. I'm working on it. But I also got to sing in Spanish! That was fun! People came up to me thinking I spoke Spanish and I was like uhhhh.... Sister Leyva! Haha


Then today for P-day we hiked potato chip rock! It was so fun! Really steep but it felt so good! I LOVE LIFE!! I hope you all do too! :)
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment