Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fireworks? No... we celebrated with a BAPTISM!

Life in El Cajon is grand. Hotter than you would think, since it's on the way to the desert. I already have a nice tan on my feet. It's actually rained quite a bit; not enough to get out of the drought but still, it did rain. My companion hated it. I LOVED it! Reminded me of home, and it cooled things down a bit.

Miracles have been happening everyday in my life. It reminds me of a Prince of Egypt song we listen to in the car. It goes " There can be miracles if you believe." How true is that? Miracles can be small, can be answers to a prayer. I'm grateful to be able to recognize miracles everyday as a missionary, and sometimes it just might be someone opening their door. But miracles require WORK, not just sitting around--WORK. And I've learned that as well.

Our ward held a 4th of July BBQ on July 2nd. It was AWESOME. Taylor and her family were able to come and literally it felt like there were 15 or 20 nonmembers and less actives there. I felt like I was street contacting. We got introduced to so many people and we got pulled aside a lot because everyone wanted us to meet everyone there! Now that is what a Ward activity should be like. And it helped that the food was TERRIFIC... we were able to take home some leftovers that are still in our fridge. SCORE! Leftovers are the best thing for missionaries.

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned in my last letter that we were planning on taking Taylor and her family to the Mormon Battalion. We did! It was SO fun and I was the driver.
California highways are WAY different than what I am used to; and then I had someone following me. No pressure. But no worries. Tiwi didn't even yell at me once! It was a good day. The Battalion site is amazing, high tech and everyone should go to San Diego just for that. 
It was awesome. Taylor and her family really enjoyed it. We were also able to "pan for gold." Good times.
We then went and got dinner in what is called Old Town and I got a California burrito. SO good. Get one. It's hard to explain how good the experience is. I know I have done a terrible job but the Mormon Battalion were saints of true faith. Their stories amaze me. Look up their story.

The highlight of this week is: TAYLOR GOT BAPTIZED!!!
Man. Best baptism I have ever been to and it was so fun to be involved in the behind-the-scenes as well. It was on July 4th. We filled up the font and set up the chairs. We practiced our little intermission lesson about the Restoration. I was playing the piano waiting for everyone to get there, and then I saw Taylor walk in. I got so excited!! Her family came with her as well. Such great support. I guess I never really told the full story of how Taylor met the missionaries. She was contacted on the street a year ago by two Elders. She wasn't interested at the time, and several missionaries tried to go back and visit them afterward. Then sister missionaries came into the area. Sister Stewart (my current companion) got a prompting to go visit this family, and the rest is history. When they went by, Taylor's little sister Chelsea let them in and they taught the Restoration and Taylor was interested. She's awesome. So prepared and seeks out answers for herself. The Elder who originally contacted Taylor was able to baptize her. Pretty cool. The talks at the baptism were amazing as well and there was a beautiful musical number I was able to accompany on the piano. (Thanks for making me learn piano, Mom! I love sharing my talent!) My favorite part was when Taylor shared her testimony at the end. She shared her conversion story and how she wants to go out on the streets and tell everyone with a megaphone how wonderful the gospel is. She will totally be a missionary some day. I love her. Another cool thing is that Evanelle (the girl who has been coming to Taylor's lessons with us) put a box at the back of the room for people to write down their favorite scripture for Taylor. There was also a Book of Mormon for everyone to sign. It was really sweet. Evanelle also got a cake and organized a luncheon. She's AWESOME. She is working on her mission papers and I can't wait to hear where she is gonna change the world. Taylor's little sister Chelsea is eight, and we've also set her with a baptismal date. At the baptism she kept asking "So at my baptism are we going to have cake? Is my name going to be on it? So cute. I'm excited for her baptism as well. The next day in church Taylor not only was confirmed and received the Holy Ghost, but she got her temple recommend! There will be a youth temple trip and she will go. We are working with her to get some family names. It just amazes me that the day after her baptism she gets a temple recommend. Then a week later she will go to the temple! Since it will be her first time, our mission president has given us permission to go with her!! I'm PUMPED!

We had four investigators attend church this week. So awesome. It was Fast and Testimony meeting. The spirit was really strong, and I know that helped our visitors a lot. This month I was fasting for my companion and I to find new people to teach. I prayed a lot about it. And I can tell you that I've never really had a strong testimony of fasting, but I got one on Sunday. It was the end of the second hour of church and we get tapped on the shoulders. It's a sister in our ward. She says to us, "Hi Sisters! This is my nephew Arthur and he's been coming to church for a while and he would really like to start taking the discussions."
WHAT?!? I couldn't believe it. Of course we said yes... We set up an appointment for later that day. We went over to his house, taught the restoration to this 18 year old and when we asked him if he would like to be baptized he said "Yes, I would really like to. When is the soonest I can be baptized?"
Um WHAT?! Did that just happen? Yep, it did. So we set a date for two weeks later, July 18th. We are teaching him again this week, and probably a couple more times before next Sunday. He is ready to start over and come closer unto Christ. He jsut needs to make sure he has a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I'm excited for what's in store for him and I feel blessed to be a part of his experience. God is truly amazing and he prepares so many people, and they are right under our noses! Fasting works. Always do the full 24 hours, and do it with a sincere heart, not with a hungry heart.
Member referrals are the best. We taught at the Stake President's house last night and he invited over a newly wed couple. We taught them and set up another appointment. Give the missionaries referrals! You never know who God is preparing.

Transfers. No worries! I'm staying with my companion in this amazing area. Not gonna lie: I was scared something was going to happen, but all is well.
Never forget how much Heavenly Father loves you and is looking out for you. Always know I love you all and pray for you everyday!
Love you!
Sister Whitcomb


1 comment:

  1. For your next Baptism I stole a great idea from some sister missionaries in CT.

    During the wait of return from the font, they passed out 3x5 card and pens to everyone in attendances and asked all to write a short message to the person being baptized. At the end the sister's collected all the cards then during the week they put it together in a 'special day' book and gave it to the convert.

    So cool. The messages people wrote brought another level of love and remembrance of that special day.

    Thought I'd share. Bro Stokes

    ReplyDelete