Tuesday, July 14, 2015

HELLO MY LOVED ONES!!
How I miss you and think and pray for you everyday. Is everyone alive and well? Life here could not be greater. Filled with lots of laughs, sweat and leftovers. (our members are the best!)
But let me just tell you that I see a lot of homeless people, families with hard situations, families that are not supportive--it's hard to see. It allows me to reflect on my life and to be grateful for the people I have and the love and support they have for me. And I can feel it every week! You guys are the BEST! Thanks for everything you do.
Onto the week: And you know my week wouldn't be complete if I didn't visit the retirement home, La Vida Real! We stopped by Ednis Smith's again--I love her. She feeds us and then puts us to work. She can't move around a lot so we clean and organize and decorate her house. This lady is crafty. I now realize how heavy a frame can be when you're standing on a ladder holding it up and moving it back and forth one or two inches for a good 15 minutes. We all know how tiny my arm muscles are! But another thing I love to do while I am there is drive her motorized wheelchair. I feel so cool! It goes pretty fast--watch out! I love that lady. She shows me how faithful I want to be when I'm that old. She's constantly providing missionary opportunities and she's not afraid to show the world who she is! I love her.
This week has been faith building. On Wednesday night we went to teach Taylor's cousin, who we've been meeting with for quite a bit. We taught a pretty good lesson but you could tell something was off. At the end, she dropped us. She does not want us to come by anymore. It stung. It then made me realize how much I love her and how much I want her to have this happiness. So sad. But my companion is so good to me and counseled me tat we just need to focus on the people who are ready and to never give up and constantly invite. So I knew I had to work my hardest to find those results so I went right back to work. The next day we went to teach Taylor's younger siblings. They have baptismal dates. Taylor was supposed to be there but she was up at her Aunt's and said she would be down shortly. We taught the lesson to her siblings and their Mom was sitting in the corner. She didn't want to sit in. And again, something was off in the lesson--they weren't talking and didn't seem as comfortable as they used to be. So we wrapped up their lesson and said our goodbyes and then the Mom wanted to talk to us outside. She said she didn't want us to meet with her kids anymore.
Man.
That hurt even more.
I love those kids! They are like MY siblings. Hard to see the ones you love not want something that you know will bring them eternal happiness. After that my companion and I were a little bummed and we were worried about Taylor. We drove to another person's house we had planned to visit, but as soon as we got there we got a call from Taylor. In tears. So we drove back right away. I knew at that moment that I wasn't just a missionary, but I was also Taylor's friend and I knew I wanted to do anything in my power to make her feel better.
We left her with some thoughts and scriptures and reminded her that the Savior is with her always, and that when she is going through hard times, the Savior is with her holding her hand.
Earlier that morning I put the Footprints poem with a picture of Christ that Bentley had given me before my mission in my iPad case. I didn't even know why I put it in there, but I did. While we were talking to Taylor I had the strongest impression to read it to her and then to give it to her. I'm so glad that I did, and I hope that down the road when she is having a hard time she'll be able to find that poem and remember the Savior and find comfort in him. By the end of our visit we were all laughing and I knew without a doubt that Taylor was going to be okay.
We had a wonderful experience with her on Saturday when we were able to go to the Temple to do baptisms with her. Since it was her first time, we were given permission from our Mission President to go. I love the temple, and I haven't been able to do baptisms for a really long time. I really enjoyed that. Being on a mission I have a new love for baptisms; seeing the joy that it can bring people and being able to do that for many people in heaven was an honor. We talked to Taylor afterward about how she felt and she basically felt so privileged and humbled to be able to bring this ordinance into someone's life and bring that joy to someone. What  a sweetheart she is! She told us she had been preparing all week. I want to be like Taylor. She is trying to be like the Savior. I'm trying to be like him everyday. I know that my efforts will add up. 
Also on Saturday my comp and I were able to teach the Restoration at two baptisms; one for a convert in The Fuerte Ward (it used to be The Avocado Ward for anyone that knows El Cajon--the boundaries have been switched alot) named Lynn. She is an older woman, and I can tell you that just from seeing Lynn I love her. She is very unique and makes me smile. For her baptism instead of sitting at the front she sat in the back. It was cute. We also went to the baptism of an eight year old. I love baptisms. Such a spirit, and I feel so privileged to be able to attend.
No crashes this week, and Tiwi didn't yell at me!
Saturday was also known as free slurpee day! And YES--we did partake. A nice cool drink on a nice hot day. Free food is something missionaries come to enjoy and appreciate. 
I almost forgot some of the most exciting news! Arthur, who I told you about last week, has been meeting with us everyday to try to attain his goal of a baptism for July 18th. He is so ready. I have faith that he will be strong and keep growing. He has a desire, and a goal now to receive the Priesthood. I'm pumped for next Saturday!
See the little "Future Missionary" tag on this guy? He's the best! He loves to shake our hands on Sundays.
There is no way that I could write down how many times I see the Lord's hand in my life. I bet some of the time I don't even see it. But I try. I love being a disciple of Christ and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Thanks for the prayers. I feel them everyday. Remember--I'm cheering for you!
Keep pressing forward.
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment