Tuesday, July 21, 2015

not enough water, SO MUCH Love!

HELLOOOO MY FAMILY!!
I love you all so much!! Still loving life and living everyday to the fullest! It's been hot, but there has also been rain which is a huge blessing. And there was a thunderstorm. I LOVED IT! Felt like home.
So last week, after our p-day was done we went to a youth activity that Sister Stewart and I planned. We wanted to get to know the youth better, so we planned a "Meet the Mormons" movie night. We held it at the YW's president's home. It's beautiful. They projected the movie on their house. It was funny to see the Californians get cold in 60 degree weather. But nine non-members showed up! We weren't even sure how many youth were going to show, so it was awesome! We played some games and got to know each other for an hour and then they started the movie and we left to do some of our missionary work. It was really cool because Arthur, our recent convert since Saturday, and his cousin (our other investigator) Elijah were there. I think they loved it. They fit right in.
Arthur was baptized on Saturday. It was awesome. Slightly embarrassing for my companion and I because we didn't fill the font all the way up.  Good thing we can laugh. So the water went up to the middle of his calf. It took him three times to go under. MAN! I was praying so hard for him to go under! Arthur's cousin wants to get baptized as well. Even after the water thing. So many miracles in El Cajon! I LOVE IT!
(Water SHORTage)
News on mission technology: Paper planners are no more.  The Area Book Planner is now an app; no more paper. So we've been putting aside an hour each day to put records/contacts onto the app. We had to take some training, and now it will probably be MTC training. I wouldn't be surprised if an iPad was on future missionaries' packing lists.
El Cajon is full of trailer parks. We generally aren't liked in the trailer parks. One of the managers almost ran us over with his car. He wasn't happy to see us. But I was happy to see him! I can't help but love him and smile and say "Have a good day!" as he drives away. Missions work miracles on everyone. We have recently added a man named Michael. His whole trailer is a jungle, full of plants. I'm sure Mimi would approve. He has been taught before but never made the step to baptism. I really like him. After we taught our lesson we asked him to pray. He didn't want to, but then a member that went with us lovingly nudged him and walked him through it. That was one of the most powerful, sincere prayers I've ever heard. Members can do amazing things. GO OUT WITH THE MISSIONARIES! You could change someone's life.
We also had interviews with our Mission president and since I'm a sister I got to have a one on one with Sister Schmitt. Let me tell you, they LOVE all their missionaries so much, you can see it in their faces and hear it in their words and I am so honored to be a missionary serving under them. President Schmitt is filled with wisdom and Sister Schmitt is as well. Their presence is so powerful. They are young. They brought four kids with them--the oldest is 16 and the youngest is 7. Such outgoing kids, totally remind me of the now previous mission president's kids in Boston. I'm lucky I'll have the same mission president the whole time I'm here.
Sunday was possibly one of the best days ever. It was a mission president's fireside. It included a missionary choir, missionary musical numbers, and testimonies given by recent converts. We were given permission to sing in the choir because we live near the stake for which it was being performed. I LOVE singing as a missionary and with other missionaries. There were probably like 50 missionaries singing. (Twenty were sisters! WOOT WOOT!!) The senior Sister who directs the choir is a hoot. So outgoing and makes us sound beautiful! To start the fireside the missionaries (that's me!) lined up in two lines in the back and when the music started we walked down the aisles singing "Called to Serve." So powerful! I couldn't hep but smile the whole time. It must have been incredible for the audience. At the end we left walking down the aisles singing "I'll go where you want me to go." Incredibly powerful and I loved being a part of it. Can't wait for the next one! We also sang "We thank thee O God for a Prophet" and "Come, Come Ye Saints." When we were being introduced to the music for the program, the first verse of "CCYS" said "solo." I turned to my comp and her trainer and asked "Who's singing the solo?" They unanimously said "YOU!"
Hah! Very funny. I told them there was NO way. Then as we start, the director looks into the crowd of missionaries and points to my comp, her trainer and ME! I was like WHAT?!? So we sang a little trio at the fireside for that hymn. Thank goodness I can carry a tune. Thank goodness I didn't have to sing SOLO!
The El Cajon fireside is going to be in October. I hope they ask Taylor to speak at that one! She is SO amazing. I love the testimonies of converts--so sweet, so simple and so heartfelt. I am MADLY IN LOVE with this church! It is truth. I feel so lucky to be able to serve as a missionary. It's such an honor and I am so humbled.

Today we were able to attend the Temple for p-day. It's SO BEAUTIFUL! I got so excited walking in--so breath-taking. I can't wait to go again! It's so peaceful there; I didn't have a care in the world. I felt so safe, so loved and the spirit was so strong. The Arabic Elders and my comp and I went to Five Guys after. Living it up! I LOVE THE TEMPLE! I love the mission. AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU!
Keep pressing forward my family and friends. Remember: God loves you. He's always looking out for you. I know he has for me and he wouldn't do any different for you! I can promise that you'll feel his love even more when you obey and follow him and his son, Jesus.
Love, 
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment