Tuesday, January 5, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVED ONES!!!!!

Man, can you believe it's 2016? And I got to spend more than half of it as a missionary!!! How exciting is that? Pretty exciting. I have learned so much this past year, I learn so much every single week. I love my new area, my new companion, and my new position as a missionary. Being a Sister Training Leader stretches me in the best way.
Tuesday, for our p-day, we went to Old Town! It's really fun. 
We parked at the Mormon Battalion, walked all over; there are lots of Mexican shops with fun things and food. I found a couple of cool things. I love serving in San Diego!!!!!  :)  :)  :)
with the Spanish sisters
Today we are going to go back (haha we had so much fun!)  :)
Tuesday night was also really fun because Sister Schmitt asked us if we wouldn't mind having a young woman named Aubrey tag along with us for the night. Aubrey's family are very well acquainted with the Schmitts and they were in San Diego for Christmas! She's from South Jordan. She's going to BYU. Her boyfriend is currently taking the discussions so it was cool to talk to her about that. We had an appointment with a less active but that feel through, so we decided to stop at a member the Bishop asked us to visit who is also a recent convert. Her sons are nonmembers. Great opportunity for us!
Her son wasn't home but we were able to teach her the restoration and resolve some concerns she had about her primary calling and reading the Book of Mormon. It was cool. We tried to contact a referral. We street contacted with her. We even tracked a house because they had a nativity! Almost turned into a potential investigator. Almost.
Aubrey experienced it all and she was only with us for barely three hours! I loved being able to tell her how amazing missions are and how they change lives. We were able to commit her to praying about a mission.
She'd be a great missionary! And she is!
Then Wednesday was my first exchange with one of the sets of sisters we are over! 
So as sister training leaders we go on 24 hour exchanges with all of the sisters that we are over. That's five sets, so ten sisters. It's really fun!
We went on an exchange with Sister Bartel and Sister Atwood. We prayerfully decide who goes where and with whom. And even just after two weeks of being in this area the Lord wanted me to stay in the area and go with Sister Bartel. Sister Pilkington joined Sister Atwood in her area. It was fun. We had a lot of appointments so Sister Bartel experienced it all! Sister Bartel is actually a Temple Square Sister from Wisconsin. I love Temple Square Sisters!!!!!!!
She's a great missionary. I got to know her really well. I asked her non stop questions! So I definitely know she's awesome! We first met with Vanessa, our American/Spanish investigator,we watched the restoration with her and she said she knew it was true! But she still has things to resolve she doesn't want us to help her with.... So she sas she doesn't want to be baptized til March. A little ways away but it will sneak up soon! 
We then had an appointment with a YSA investigator named Stephanie. She's been investigating for a while, and she said she didn't want to get baptized til June. She's pretty firm, so we asked her what she's doing NOW to prepare. Let's just say it was an interesting lesson. But she's cool because she pays tithing and she's not even a member yet! Super cool. People inspire me. Then we raced over to a recent convert's home, taught a beast lesson, raced over to a returning less active's home and he gave us two cheese cakes so we truly scored! And then we racced over to a less active's home and they fed us a surprise dinner. (Fun fact: they gave me a HUGE pile of peas. I HATE peas. It's the one food I hate. Did I eat them? YES. Did I swallow them like pills? YES. Did I almost gag? YES. Was I still smiling? YES!!! It was free food and the peas are keeping me healthy! I guess. Another fun fact: Sister Bartel also hates peas. So we were dying together and we ate them all!)  :)
But they are such a sweet couple; Brother StGermaine makes HUNDREDS of wooden toys, and I might have mentioned it before but he gave Sister P and I a wooden turtle. We call him Santa because he literally gives away THOUSANDS of these toys, for free!!!! He's legitimate.
And we had a really spiritual restoration lesson, AND THEN ON SUNDAY HE CAME TO CHURCH!!!!
Woot woot!!! I was soooo happy! We also found Faith! (In the spiritual sense and the physical!) She's a person. And we found her! (Not without some struggles since her house is hidden!) And we set a return appointment for the next day but it was cool because Sister Bartel pretty much called her to repentance. Being a missionary is awesome.
We then met Anthony, the YSA who got baptized the day after Christmas! IT WAS SO AMAZING! We had a senior couple who works in the YSA (The Monks) come with us. They gave him his own set of scriptures! It was the nicest thing ever!  :) We then talked about the priesthood, (WHICH HE WILL BE RECEIVING ON SUNDAY!!!!!!) And we watched a video called "Sanctify Yourselves" and afterwards he said he had never felt the spirit so strongly and kept on describing it and how it covered his whole side of his body. SO COOL!!!!!! The spirit is amazing! So we had pretty much a GREAT exchange. We have another one tomorrow with some pretty AWESOME sisters. I'm so excited!!!!
Then.... NEW YEAR'S EVE!!! I've never smiled so much than on this day, and not even a lot happened! We walked around these apartment complexes for an hour and so many things happened that made us smile! We ran into a former investigator and she said she would try to be at church and that she is thinking about BAPTISM!!! Sweet. We were also walking and this car pulled over and it was DOUG! The secret less active we found whose daughter we are teaching! He wanted to see if we needed a ride. So sweet! And then we street contacted this mail woman, not interested, but as we were walking and she drove by, she waved and did a friendly honk at us! I LOVE PEOPLE!!!! We also found a less active family and committed them to church! Super cool! They didn't come but hopefully soon!!! And then Faith, the woman we found last night, we had a super powerful lesson with her. We talked about forgiveness and relying on the Savior. And I've never felt the spirit work so strongly through me. It was awesome. And then on Sunday since we cover two congregations Sister P and I have to split up.
So Faith was my companion! And she stayed all three hours!! It's been a struggle for her so I am SO proud of her.  :)  But New Year's Eve we had to be in early for safety by 6:00 pm.
We then weekly planned. It was a very inspiring planning session, complete with Panda Express!! A night well spent. :) :)
At 9:00 pm we shouted HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! In honor of the East Coast. :)
Friday, I was SO tired. I felt bad, but I kept pressing forward because I knew it's what I needed to do! And I know it won't get easier! We had a really cool district meeting about teaching people, not just lessons. Addressing their needs. So in order to practice that, we taught our companions, as our companions, and what their specific needs are. Super inspiring.
Saturday was also REALLY fun! In each Ward there is a couple called as YSA representatives to help the youth transition and come to the YSA branch! So we went on splits with one of them, Sister P went with Sister Gordon, the couple representative, and I went with a YSA in that ward. Her name is Maddie and she is AWESOME! She's thinking about a mission too, so it was SO fun!
We actually saw a cool miracle. We tried this one girl's house but she wasn't home. But her killer dog was. Have no fear we became friends.
But her apartment mate was home and we were able to get his number to teach him more! WAY COOL!
THEN later last night he texted us and asked if we would be in the area, so we quickly grabbed Maddie again and raced over! Not only was Mike there but his roommate, who is dating the less active was there! His name is Derek. So we taught Derek and Mike and it was AWESOME! At the end of the lesson we learned that Derek had actually taken some of the lessons before and was pretty interested. And at the end I was able to let the spirit work through me and bear testimony of the Book of Mormon and the importance of change and being truly converted to the gospel! Miracle!!!
So they are both YSA investigators now.  :)  I LOVE IT!!!
But back to Saturday. We taught another returning less active, they are the BEST, and then we taught Anthony, and he had his notepad and everything! Spirit was strong again and he is so ready for all the next steps! Temple, a calling, and the priesthood! All should happen very soon...... We also laughed a lot that day which is also important for your health.  :)
Sunday is game day!
The moment of truth whether people show up or not!
Sadly we had no investigators BUT right before the YSA sacrament started a girl showed up. Her name is Ella. She has a friend who is currently serving a mission, who gave her a Book of Mormon, and brought her to church a couple of times. And guess what? Her friend is serving in South Korea Seoul mission! Same as Elder Lewis! Pretty sweet. I then went on to learn that her friend entered the MTC in August and left in October!  Pretty sure the same time Elder Lewis did..... Pretty cool. So it helped bond us really quickly. She enjoyed sacrament meeting and we are going to meet with her on Wednesday!! I'M SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!! She's awesome.
The family ward was also great. A tragedy recently happened and the sacrament meeting was so strong. Tragedies really either bring us closer to Christ or we turn away from him. I would recommend turning toward him because the alternate is not a happy route! Christ is the best.
We then also taught Doug! And his daughter Julie!
(Remember the secret less active)
We taught the plan of Salvation, the spirit was of course strong AGAIN!!! Ah, I love that family! They should be in church on Sunday!
And Julie said the most heartfelt prayer ever at the end! She loves her Dad and he loves her. I LOVE IT!
Sister P and I then had a most EMBARRASSING dinner ever. We went to a classy member's home, and long story short, Sister P had a coughing fit and almost barfed on their table.
Then later on I missed a step and flew down their hallway. Good times. Classy sisters. What can I say?
We then found a lot of potentials on the street and a member was able to tell us an investigator he used to teach with the Elders a while back. EXCITED TO TRY THEM ALL!!!
And then Monday was my first mission leader Council meeting.
President Schmitt, the Assistants, the Zone Leaders and the Sister Training Leaders all gather together and council about goals and things to do in the mission and what certain trainings will be on and how we can improve. Let's just say to keep it short I receive a LOT of revelation for myself, my area, and the sisters we are serving over! So cool!!!!! And we set a goal as a mission to reach 1,000 baptisms in 2016!!! We can totally do it, with all the promises General Authorities have given us and all the new things to do and try! Miracles will happen! And they definitely did for us right after because we were able to get a solid referral for the Elders and then add Mike and Derek! I love life! ESPECIALLY as a missionary!
One of my favorite quotes from the leadership meeting was "It's amazing what you can do when you have to do it!"
This is true. And I love doing this work. I love stretching myself, and I love studying Christ every single day!! And I love all of you!
Stay close to Christ!
And know that this classy sister loves YOU!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment