Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Trio-->-->-->Duo

Welcome, Welcome Tuesday Morning!
And Welcome to you, my loved ones! :)
My heart is full, but it's always full as a missionary! How could it not be? What a wonderful week. Full of growth, smiles and the spirit!
I guess I'll start with Tuesday night. We were able to teach our favorite 66 year old recent convert, John. We sat outside his little trailer, drank some herbal tea and ate some cookies and talked about The Book of Mormon. He's a sweet man, and I'm glad I get to help him expand his testimony.
We then went on splits that night; Sister Purcell went with a member to try a part member family. They weren't home so they then tried our investigator Vanessa. It worked out perfectly! I love members who love our investigators! :) So then Sister Stewart and I went to go try a new move in family, taught them the Restoration and encouraged them to do missionary work. I love going on splits with members, you get double the lessons! Double the joy! Double the salvation!
Then we were able to teach a nine year old convert some of his new members lessons. His home is a struggle so I'm always glad when we go over and invite the spirit into their home.
On Wednesday we had another Missionary Training Experience, one of those big meetings where we go on exchanges with the Sisters we are over. I love praying about who should go where; it's always such a privilege to receive revelation from our Heavenly Father!
I was able to go with Sister Seo, from Korea, in her area, in LaJolla. Sister Purcell also came with us! And you know what's so awesome about La Jolla, THE TEMPLE IS IN THEIR AREA!
So at one point in the day we were able to park there and then go street contact at a park near the temple! So cool! We street contacted someone who was even on the Temple grounds! We also talked to a Japanese woman who had a dog who was imported from Japan! How crazy is that? The dog was quite vicious, he took a couple of nips at Sister Purcell's leg and then entangled Sister Seo and was literally chewing on her arm! And Sister Seo, being the cute sister that she is, was just laughing and smiling! Don't worry, I saved her! ;)
Another fun thing Sister Seo did was she saw someone jogging along the side of the road and started to jog with them and give him a pass along card. She cracks me up! :)
We were also supposed to teach a referral at the Temple, but he never showed up. But we had a member there and he asked us if we could teach his daughter about the Temple! So we did. That father had so much love for his daughter, I could just see it in his face. He wants her so badly to go to the temple! It was the sweetest. :)
For dinner, we had these delicious muffins, including my favorite cupcake of joy muffins! (Shout out to the Stokes for always making those for me for seminary! It made me smile to have them again! :))
At the beginning of the day we set a goal to set someone with a baptismal date. And by 8:30 we still hadn't, but we were determined and did not get back in the car until we found someone! And literally the last door we knocked on was a miracle!!!!!! So he is a former investigator named Jordan. We got to know him, talked about if he would like to come back to church and learn about the gospel. We felt prompted to invite him to be baptized so we did! AND WE SET HIM WITH A BAPTISMAL DATE OF MARCH 19th!!!!! He is so cool, he asked what church he will be baptized into geographically. :) He's ready! Just needs a little bit of time. :)
In our area, Sister Stewart was with Sister Seo's companion, Sister Clark from Temple Square, and they saw miracles too! :) They added a YSA investigator!! MILAGROS!!!! :)
They also taught Eddie to prepare him for his baptism about the priesthood. He is so excited to get the priesthood and he said he wants to baptize the WORLD!! I love it. They also taught our investigator Philip!
He's dating a member and he's been hard to get a hold of and so that was a miracle in itself and a member was finally able to come with them and it made ALL the difference! (So go out with the missionaries, YOU matter!)
He just felt the spirit and knows it's all true and really wants to be baptized on March 12th!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!! :)
Then on Thursday we set goals and made plans for the future week in our weekly planning session. We had dinner with our branch president which was nice, and we were able to teach a less active named Netta. I actually first met her when she walked into Black Mountain Branch one day, so she actually lives on Asa tee, and now I'm here teaching her!
Such a great lesson about charity; reminds me I need more of it! We also got to teach Eddie again to help resist Satan's temptations before his baptism on Saturday. We taught him about Temples and Family History to help prepare him. It was awesome, it helped me reflect on my visits to the Temple. Especially when Kaleb was baptized for Ben. That event will always hold a special place in my heart. Especially since I have a more expanded knowledge of it now. :)
Friday, oh Friday. I guess it was time for things to be shaken up because we got a phone call from President Schmitt. Apparently one of the sisters had to go home suddenly for medical reasons and he needed one of us to be with the other Sister for an unknown period of time. Could be a week, two weeks, or for the rest of the transfer. He wanted us to counsel about it and help him decide. Man, that was stressful, and scary and sad.
I LOVE MY TRIO!!! But I now know that this is why we were placed into a trio; to help the other sisters out. So we fasted on Saturday. We didn't really get a specific answer besides how all of us would be good for it. So it came down to logic and what would be best for both areas and we decided Sister Purcell is the one the Lord wants. That was her first area, it's actually Black Mountain YSA, we both served there! I actually took her place. :) Crazy stuff. I will miss my favorite Aussie, hopefully she will come back soon! But it was so sad to drop her off last night, and it was sad to send a sister home but I know the Lord is in charge of this work and he will take care of all of us. But I am VERY happy I get to stay with my mission Mama, SISTER STEWART!!! She's literally the best and I'm so thankful to be with her again and learn as much as I can from her. :)
We also had district meeting on Friday, talked about how we are all angels and we need to treat each other as such. Super good. We also got to meet with a less active who reached out to us, that's always nice, and she's in a sad point in life so I hope the ward and we will be able to help her! And then we had our last lesson with Eddie before his baptism. He was counting down the hours! HE'S SO COOL!!!!!
AND THEN SATURDAY CAME, THE DAY EDDIE GOT BAPTIZED!!!!!! Sister Stewart also had a baptism that day in another area but due to conflicting times and being too far away she got permission to Skype in. It was so fun to see! And her investigator, Janelle, after she was baptized she lost her contacts! SO FUNNY!!
Skyping into Janelle's baptism
And Sister Carlson, who is the bestest in the world and was holding the iPad, took a screenshot of our reactions. It's the best!
But so was Eddie's baptism.
He brought two nonmember friends.
Eddie and his two friends
We were able to talk to them after. They aren't interested in lessons at the time but they accepted copies of The Book of Mormon and said they would join Eddie someday in his lessons! SWEET!
All of the sisters who taught Eddie
The baptism was awesome, a bunch of YSA came, Sister Pilkington and Sister Cortello were able to sing at the baptism and I was lucky enough to accompany them! Beautiful Savior, it's a great song. Look it up.
Then at the end of the baptism Eddie was able to bear his testimony. He's a good guy. He's very grateful for everything that's happened, and so am I! God is good! :)
Sunday was awesome. Great game day. It was Ward/Branch conferences in both congregations. The Stake President is AWESOME; he came to both our baptisms this past two weeks and he gave marvelous talks in both congregations! :)
I loved the message of 'our members don't live up to their full potentials as children of God! We are children of the most high! Live it up! :)
Vanessa came to church with her two boys and EDDIE WAS ALSO CONFIRMED A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH!!! It was great. :)
We also had a mission president's devotional. Sister Stewart and I were asked to participate in it. So spiritual, one of the best ones! The convert testimonies were amazing and so were the musical numbers! I accompanied an Elder and a Sister from my district and they sang "Love is Spoken Here." A great one. And a lot of the departing sisters sang "Lead Kindly Light." Including Sister Stewart and Sister Pilkington. :( Sad day when they leave, but glad they brought the spirit!
I was also able to accompany Sister Carlson and she sang "Where Love Is." SO BEAUTIFUL! And there is this Elder from Venezuela who plays the cello SO BEAUTIFULLY! It was an honor to play with him. He is totally professional and it was cool to invite the spirit, music is so powerful! I've never felt the spirit so much and my testimony so much through music! It was amazing!
Especially when for the choir I was able to help accompany, "Love One Another." The Elder playing the cello played the first time through a capella and then I joined him for the second time through. I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO PHRASE SO MUCH!!! It was amazing, thank you Mrs. Wardwell for that wonderful training in High School! WORTH IT!!! Great day, great day.
And I got to sing in the choir "I feel my Savior's love." And one of my favorite lines is "I'll Offer Him My Heart. My Shepherd He will be."
UGH SO POWERFUL!!!
If you just truly think about the words, it means so much more instead of just singing words on a page. It makes ALL the difference.

Monday. Monday.
Had to send Sister Purcell away. :(  But we were able to meet with Eddie and have a powerful lesson on the Plan of Salvation. My testimony grew from it. "Death has no sting, the grave hath no victory."
BECAUSE WE WILL BE SWALLOWED UP IN CHRIST. Let him swallow you, it's worth it. We had a great power hour as well, walked around apartment complexes, invited people to be baptized, set return appointments with potential investigators. SO EXCITING!! "The field is white and is READY to harvest!" So don't let it spoil and rot!
Don't let these people slip through your finger tips. The Lord knows and he will qualify ALL of you. He loves you and I love YOU! Keep on ROCKING!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

No comments:

Post a Comment