Wednesday, June 10, 2015

HELLO FRIENDS AND FAMILY!


WE GOT IPADS YESTERDAY! A HUGE deal in the mission and I'll be
emailing you from it now on. So crazy! It's gonna change everything
and right at the beginning of my mission! 
 I have never been so happy in my life. Not to
say that it's easy, it's not. But I love the atmosphere and I can
already see how much I have grown just in 2 weeks!
Some crazy stuff has happened since I've last emailed. My companion
and I got locked outside of the house! It was 10:30pm, we were in bed
but Sister Stewart saw that a light was on and so we went to shut it
off. The door swung shut behind us and all of a sudden we were locked in
the garage. We were also blind as bats because we didn't have our
glasses on. We were a mess. We tried to knock on the door so the
Mahaffeys, the members we live with, could come open it for us, but
unfortunately they are deaf and very loud. So we remembered a key in
an avocado tree that they had out back that we could get in with. So
we went out, couldn't see and stuck our hands up into this tree and we
discovered that the key was in this huge spider web! I made Sister
Stewart do it because I just couldn't. Then we walked out to the
front, trying to avoid horse poop because they have a horse.
Just laughing the whole time, good times in the mission. Speaking of
getting locked out I'm locked out right now! Our car tire was really
low so we had to drop it off at a tire place and then some other
sisters picked us up and were going to bring us home to use our wifi.
But we forgot to get the keys off of our key loop and our members
aren't home. So we are sitting outside of the house emailing. Good
times on the mission.
Our mission president gave us permission to watch L Tom Perry's
funeral, it was really nice. I loved the part they mentioned about
sacrament meeting where we should ask ourselves the question. Who am
I? Who am I becoming? How am I becoming that person. Something like
that, it was really cool.
Also I had my first opportunity to get "bashed" on, a bible bash I
think they call it. We have been visiting an apostolic lady and she
came to a baptism with us and she said we really liked it and that she
would start reading the Book of Mormon, so we stopped by her house to
see how it went. Well we went with the stake presidents wife, Sister
Hixon, and Alaina was there with her friend. And we started asking her
how her reading went, we tried to answer some questions but then her
friend started getting very angry. We got yelled at
for like 45 minutes, I just was sitting there and thinking: the spirit
is gone so we need to leave. So we finally told them that we had to go
to dinner and we left. Surprisingly I wasn't hurt at what she said or
offended, she has her beliefs and I have mine. But I'm just grateful
my religion brings me happiness and teaches me to treat others with
respect. I hope some days those ladies will realize that. I love them
though.
Also, I talked about Taylor last weed I believe, THE ONE WITH THE
BAPTISMAL DATE!! She is awesome and we went to go teach her a lesson.
We brought the mission leaders wife with us, she's from New Zealand
and has an awesome accent, he name is Sister Seba and she brought her
15 year old daughter Puawai. They are awesome. Anyway, Taylor invited
her brother and sister to sit on the lesson. Then her brother also has
3 friends that live with her family and they sat in too.the ages are
14,  13  and 8. Then she also invited 2 of her cousins and her Aunt.
And we figured out her aunt is a MEMBER!,! She's not on our records
but we will fix that soon, same with her Mom, her Mom is a member but
not on our records. But now her siblings have agreed to start over and
take the lessons with us!,!, They are literally the sweetest and most
mature kids I've seen, I think it's cuz their parents aren't their for
them and they totally look to Taylor as a Mom. And she's so good at it.
So yeah, we added 3 more investigators!!!! Sister Stewart and I were
saying we are gonna bring this family to the Temple and go to their
sealing!!, AHHHHH!! Missionary work is the best! So many miracles!
But the hard part for me is definitely street contacting, I can say
hello to everybody but bringing up the gospel is a little difficult.
But I've just able to think of the people I met before this life and I
know I promised someone that I will find them and come bring them this truth! I will!! So that
gives me a little boost. And Sister Stewart is teaching me little
questions I can ask people, we've been giving people pass a long cards
that go to the Because he lives Easter video. But now that we have
iPads we can just watch the video with people right on the street!
Woot woot! Technology is a blessing and a curse. A good point that my
mission president said at Zone conference that we are a Preach my
gospel mission, not an iPad mission. Because it is soooooo true. Can't
let these devices distract us. I shut the notifications off for my
email so I won't see how many emails I have or how many emails I don't
have throughout the week. Just gotta pray that these iPads will help
the work progress and not go down. And actually they are letting us
take our iPads Home! So this iPad that I'm using now is officially
mine.
And also next week our mission president authorized us to go to a
Padres game! For our p-day next week we are gonna see some baseball!!
So I don't know when I'll email, but I'm sure I'll find time. I'm
pumped for the game. I get to see my friends from the MTC!! I miss my
old companion a lot.
Also I figured out that a person who has played piano for 11 years (me) can
sound like an 8 year old. That was embarrassing; at a zone conference.
I told the Elder I was going to butcher it but he couldn't find anyone
else so I was willing to humiliate myself. Let's just say I will never be
sent to play " Have I done any good" ever again haha. My companion
told me I was brave, I was something alright. I'll be surprised if
they ask me to play piano again. Whoops
Well I love my area, I love my ward, I love the people I am teaching,
we have so many
members that are willing to come out with us and it just adds a better
atmosphere to everything! So go out with the missionaries!! It's so
much fun! do it!
I love you all and I'm always praying for you. Please write me and
send me pictures. I want to show the people of San Diego how
attractive my family and friends are!
I LOVE YOU!!!
XOXO
Sister Whitcomb

I love this Sister! Originally from Arkansas and has been out 9
months. Her family is now in Utah. She's awesome!
And can I just say Grampy is the best, he wrote me a bomb letter! I love him so much! I hope he gets blessed as well while I'm on my mission so I can see him when I come home! But he is a constant companion on my shoulder, he's good at casting negative thoughts out of my head. ;) I LOVE YOU! 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I'm glad that you are having such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your seminary and longtime home teacher these "adventures" as a missionary is exactly how I envisioned you someday serving. I'm going to use the 'getting locked out' story this Sunday in young women's at the Lynnfield Ward.

    You are always in our prayers. It's great to see you so happy. Brother Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously you should have a picture of your most attractive Uncle.

    Can we please change the font type or highlighting feature on the blog? Very distracting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aaron--Sarah set up the default settings, but we're managing the blog here at home. Next time we get together, you can help me reset the font and highlighting features. (jenny)

      Delete
    2. Hey Aaron--Sarah set up the default settings, but we're managing the blog here at home. Next time we get together, you can help me reset the font and highlighting features. (jenny)

      Delete