Tuesday, June 23, 2015

YOU are loved.

HAPPY DAY!!!
Well everyday is a happy day in the mission field. :)
Did I ever tell you how similar my companion and I are? We both have five siblings, both love the same music, love giraffes,
we have the same bag, both love iron man, and so many other things! It's so funny, a lot of people ask us if we are sisters or twins. We just laugh and then are able to bring up that we are Sister Missionaries! Man, the Lord gives us so many opportunities to share the gospel. And I've been able to realize how essential members are in missionary work. Missionaries can NOT do it alone. When members come to appointments it begins a good different kind of spirit, they give the most solid referrals, and it's better for the members to introduce someone to the gospel because then that investigator immediately has a friend and shows that the member trusts the missionaries so they know they can too. It's awesome! So pray for missionary opportunities! Think of people who might need the gospel and then invite them or share a video with them, it will change their life, that one simple act.
It's amazing that when we just talk to strangers how willing they are to tell very personal details of their life, and all we do it invite them to hear more of our message! But it just testifies to me that the Lord fills us with his spirit and people can recognize it ad then they can see that they can trust us and that we care. Most of the time it's awesome! But sometimes people talk for a long time, but it's all good. They probably need to let it all out. And they also need the gospel in their lives. :)
Another important concept that I've been able to relearn on my mission is not to judge. Especially while street contacting. There are always those people on the street who you think will never want to hear our message but we go up to them anyway and we share our testimonies with them. We had a cool experience as we were on our way to teach a less active the temple prep lessons. We passed by a lady who was smoking and we passed her but then turned around and started talking with her. I never thought she would be interested; she was just kind of like a biker chick I guess. But she's sooooo cool! We just told her about our message and asked her if she would ever like to hear more. She said she is really interested! Apparently she has had Mormon friends and has been to church a couple of times and she would really like us to come back and teach her. I was blown away and so was my companion. And even at the end she asked if we could hug her! She was so sweet. And at that moment I knew I could never judge if someone would accept our message, you never know, so you talk to them. And trust me we get rejected a lot, but something my companion has taught me is you want to talk to everyone. You don't want someone coming up to you up in heaven and asking, "Why didn't you talk to me? Why didn't you share your message with me?" I don't want that to happen, so I'm trying my best to talk to everyone. I never thought I would be able to, but with God's love, anything is possible.
Some of the funniest moments of my week involved going to a retirement home called La Vida Real. It's the nicest retirement home I have ever seen. It's got it's own little restaurant! So Fancy! I've eaten there twice and the food there is pretty good, especially since it's supposed to be for Seniors. I liked it! So we've been asked to visit this older lady who is no longer able to attend church, but she really wants to. So we've been trying to visit her weekly, share messages with her, and also do some service. It's been really fun. One time before we were leaving, the retirement home was having this western party. They party pretty hard there! All of the residents were dressed up and they had cardboard cowboy and horse cut outs to take pictures with. They had a little jail house, and of course a salon, and also a little line dancing! Man, the older generation can dance! It put the biggest smile on my face to see them line dancing and doing all these lasso moves and hitting their hips; so FUNNY! It was quite the party!
Also, I've been working on getting rid of all my pride. It is not easy. I've been praised a lot of my life, so coming out here and not getting praised is definitely an adjustment. I know that sounds prideful, but it's true! Everyone wants to feel praised and loved and I'm grateful I am able to get rid of this little bit of pride so I can focus more on others. Instead of the attitude "I want to be the best missionary out there and the best teacher" I want to be more like "I want to fill peoples' needs through the spirit." I want to fill their needs. I want to help others. And I'm so excited to do it.
So we were able to teach Taylor's siblings the Plan of Salvation. It went really well, so well that we were able to commit her sister, brother and cousin to baptism! It was super cool. I hope they stick with it. That's the only worry. But I know that it's changing their lives somehow. I know it. And Taylor is awesome! She is already living all of the standards and is teaching me so much! I'm so excited for her! Taylor has had a hard life and she endures her trials well. I'm just so comforted that she will have the gospel now to fall back on. Such a relief to know the people you care for and love are headed in the right direction. This past Sunday was one of the best Sundays of my life. Not just because it was Father's Day, but because Taylor's whole family came to church! It was her mom, dad and all of her siblings. We filled a whole row with them! And they all seemed to love it! Taylor's little sister Chelsea went to primary, her mom liked sacrament meeting, they were so friend-shipped it was awesome. I feel like the whole ward introduced themselves and welcomed them. The dad told me after that everyone was super nice. I LOVE MY WARD! They are awesome, such great missionaries. And also, Dad I think you'll like this: I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting on Father's Day. And yes, dad, I did tell everyone how much I loved you and appreciated you, no worries! But they asked me to speak on how we have a loving Heavenly Father and how he has created a plan of happiness for us. It was great, I loved preparing and I loved being able to talk. I had three investigators in sacrament meeting! (Taylor, her brother and Josh Mahaffey) and yes, I did cry a little during my talk, that seems to be my signature for talks--thanks mom. :) Even though Sunday was fantastic and people seemed to love my talk, the male species thought they could give me hugs that day. And as a Sister missionary, that's a no-go. Handshakes only. Apparently people didn't get the no-hugging memo. One was an investigator and he wanted to give me a hug, and my first thought was of course! So I lean in and then I realize I'M A MISSIONARY! And there was a moment of panic as my companion is standing there laughing to herself. So... I awkwardly backed away, told him the rule and shook his hand. Talk about awkward. My companion still brings it up and laughs--it's all good, I laugh too. Missionary life is awkward, I've come to accept it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Also, an older man, (he is a ward missionary) came up to me and gave me a side hug because he said that is what my dad would have done if he were here. So I guess Dad hugs still reach me even in San Diego!
I wanted to share some wise words from Josh Groban. My companion listens to this song quite frequently (mission approved). It says "Don't give up because YOU ARE LOVED!" And I want all of you to know that you are loved by at least one person on this earth, and that is ME!! Sister Whitcomb loves YOU! And I'm happy to tell you anytime! Keep going, you'll always have me in your cheer section! I love you all!
Love,
Sister Whitcomb

1 comment:

  1. Great job Sarah! Love reading your letters and feeling the Spirit. Hunter

    ReplyDelete